Other water options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissaann0617

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know everyone recommends a RO/DI system but are there any other options to improve tap water to make it usable in a saltwater tank?

The cost of any of the other options is about the same as a RODI filter and they're not nearly as good.. You can get RODI units for under $100 and trust me, they're well worth the money.

You can also buy water from your LFS, usually, as an alternative, but the RODI unit really pays for itself when you're paying up to 40 cents a gallon.

Tap water is "usable", but it will lead to issues. That's why everyone recommends RO/DI.

Yes you could run it through a ro machine ...sorry couldnt resist lol if your going to spend 100$s of dollars on coral and fish shouldnt you spend 3$/5 gallons on water. Its like driving a ferrari and puting low octane fuel you can do it but it will cost you later. JMO

Unfortunately it's not about the money I don't have anywhere to hook it up. Is using distiller water better than just tap? I will see if I can buy at lfs but I know that's not the best option in case of emergency...

There are nitrates in the water havent tested anything more than API master test tests for....

I think destilled water yes is better tha just tap water but defenetlly RO the Best and every lLFS sell it but in the long run will be expensive If you have sink you can can hook up you Ro system i dont believe you have sink in you house.

Not any with enough room underneath...atleast that's what my husband tells me...

Mine is in my garage. I use the hose. It's a a rubber one so it doesn't leach anything. It's rated drinkable. Anyways, I can hook it up and unhook whenever.

Got mine on eBay for $100. 50gpd

Ya the reason most people put them under the sink is they want the ro tap at the sink which u can still have just run 1/4 inch line there. Easy install too just attach a saddle valve to water line inside your house then run that line to cupboard or wall you have your ro at, and then same thing for waste water run a 1/4 line to a sink drain and put a saddle valve there. Heres a pic of the saddle valve and 2x3 gallon tanks i have and the line coming out with a valve to fill 5 gallon bottles.

Attachments

• image-728020068.jpg
    image-728020068.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 61
  • image-486600118.jpg
    image-486600118.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3554211096.jpg
    image-3554211096.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom