Oto cat tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could I keep 3 otos in my 20 long if I feed them algae wafers? I've heard that otos need 30 gallons or more. Do they just need a lot of space, or is it about having enough food? Thanks!

It's more an issue of them getting enough to eat. Add the oto's after the tank has been established for 6 months and supplement with algae wafers and you should be fine.

I agree...I wouldn't add them to a brand new tank...but after its been established a few months they should do just fine. Mine eat algae wafers and shrimp pellets....and algae.

I think I'm going to put a few in my 20 Long eventually. :)

From what I understand they do....eat it so well that they need to be added to a well established tank...so I think so. I'm adding them somewhere soon..I think in my 20 high.

Would they compete with a snail too much? I have a black mystery snail and wouldn't want him to hog all of the algae.

In a 20 long I wouldn't. But if you need to I think it's OK. Make sure you supplement with a good quality algae wafer and get a vegetable clip to offer things like zucchini and cucumber :)

Back
Top Bottom