Oto Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just going to see if you all though I could keep 2 or 3 oto catfish in my 10g tank. It is heated to 77*F, filtered with Aqua-tech 5-15 filter, and fairly densly planted. It is currently stocked with 9 Glowlight Tetras, 1 Dwarf Flame Gouarami, and 8 Ghost Shrimp. I Know I am probably close to stocked if not overstocked, but I just can't get rid of these pesky diatoms. I also just love the little buggers.

I think 2-3 otos would be fine in there. Just be prepared to supplement their diet as needed.

One other question, would a hillstream loach work? I am not being impulsive, I just know the LFS has the loaches, but no ottos. Thanks for your help.

No. They really need a specialized (river- higher flow, lower temp) tank to thrive.

No. They need high flow as in a powerhead or pump return and considerably cooler temps than your fish need. Can't really do what they need in a 10G unfortunately.

i have a hill stream loach with little to no current and he does fine he is very healthy. i know the conditions arnt perfect and he should realy be in high current but he seems to be happy

The thing is: Is the fish surviving or thriving?

Yes, I generally keep the temp about 76-78. I just wish my LFS stocked otto cats. Thanks for all your help HN1.

Reactions: HN1
I couldnt tell you whether he was thriving when i bought him i was mis informed and wouldnt have bought him if i knew what they needed.
One the other hand he seems to be doing really well my tank is cold water and he is very active swimming around and clearing my algae

How long have you had it? They should live for 3+ years. They also prefer others of their kind. Surviving v thriving is what I would suspect as well.

had him for 1 1/2 months. upgrading my tank in the next few weeks so he should be thriving soon lol

Reactions: HN1
I have seen some people keep them in pretty bad conditions. Someone even had one in an unfiltered tank! :eek:

had him for 1 1/2 months. upgrading my tank in the next few weeks so he should be thriving soon lol

Nice. Congrats on the upgrade! :)

I have seen some people keep them in pretty bad conditions. Someone even had one in an unfiltered tank! :eek:

Some people keep animals in really wrong conditions.... I try not to let it get to me. *twitch*

Back
Top Bottom