Oto question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbirdag96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 20gal fw tank that was started a few months back. It started to develop brown algae/diatoms on the glass and substrate about 3wks ago. I did a pwc using our python, awesome tool by the way, and added a product called Prime. We have 4 Zebra Danios and 2 Cherry Barbs. They've been doing great and handled the pwc very well. I didn't clean the diatoms off the glass as I was told Otos were really good at this. As we were wanting some kind of algae eater anyhow, I purchased 2 small ones today. I read where they won't get much bigger than they are now...about 1in long. I don't have a way of posting a pic of our tank to see the coverage of the algae. Most of it is on the front and back glass panels. There are quite a few splotches on both. One small area started to flake off already.

Will just the two of them be enough for our tank?

lol Sorry. I thought you already had the Otto's and purchased two more algae eaters.

Start with the two and if they are not enough, you can always add more.

what do diatoms look like in the tank? i've tried looking on the web but i've only come across pictures of them on the microscopic level.

i had the same problem in my 80g
got 4 cory cats and 2 ottos. and it was bad... they cleaned the tank within 2 days i think it was almost normal.
they are handy. but be careful mine try to suck the slime coat off of the other fish.

Not bad, just annoying as they cover your display so you can't see your fish. They won't harm your fish in any way. Of course if they block light they might kill your plants.

Diatoms are usually prevalent in new tanks, and usually seem to go away naturally. Otos love diatoms, I've read (though I never need to get diatoms, so my Otos just eat green algae), and are VORACIOUS eaters. Given their tiny size, its amazing how quickly they can clear a tank of algae! :)

My one remaining Oto is doing his best to clean my tank of brown diatoms. It was so covered on the left side (but not the right or back oddly enough) that I could see where he had cleaned.

He seems to enjoy cleaning in a zig-zag pattern too!

Back
Top Bottom