Otocinclus feeding advice, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two otocinclus in a 10-gallon, cycled, planted tank that had a outbreak of brown algae. They mowed through it wonderfully, and now the tank is sparkling again.

I bought a cucumber and some algae tablets, but don't know how much to put in on a daily basis. Everything seems to disintegrate rather quickly. The wafer package was no help. I don't want to foul the tank, but I don't want to underfeed the fish, either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

One slice of cucumber (boiled for a couple of minutes to soften, then dropped into ice water to stop it cooking immediately-process is called blanching) will do for two otocinclus. I use zucchini myself, as it has slightly more nutritional value. I've left zucchini on a bamboo skewer for a day, some people say don't leave it in for more than a few hours.

What size are the algae tablets? That'll go a ways for letting us form an opinion on it :D

Size of algae wafers

Thanks so much for your good advice. I will try some zucchini this week. The algae wafers are ovals, with a long diameter of about 3/4 inch and the short diameter about 1/2 inch. The otos seem to have eaten the green centers out of the ones I have given them so far.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 235
They may not touch the suspicious outer layer. Looks like a product developer has an affinity for toad in the hole. :D If no one is bothering with the rest, may as well vacuum it out. I'm glad they're even touching it. You can try other veggies as well, like thick cut green beans, broccoli, slices of brussel sprouts, peas, other types of squash, thinly sliced carrot, turnips... not potatoes, though. That could get to be a real mess.

I have a single Oto in my 10-gallon tank with 5 goldfish and 3 mollies. It was doing alright for the first while that I've had it, but recently it's just been sitting on the bottom of the tank, not cleaning anything, and not eating very much that I've seen, either algae or fish flakes. I know that Plecos are usually nocturnal, so I've been putting food in for him in the middle of the night.
I'm kind of a noobie with my tank, because I've only had it since the start of 2016. I could use any advice that I can get from more experienced fish owners.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455659788.388475.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a single Oto in my 10-gallon tank with 5 goldfish and 3 mollies. It was doing alright for the first while that I've had it, but recently it's just been sitting on the bottom of the tank, not cleaning anything, and not eating very much that I've seen, either algae or fish flakes. I know that Plecos are usually nocturnal, so I've been putting food in for him in the middle of the night.
I'm kind of a noobie with my tank, because I've only had it since the start of 2016. I could use any advice that I can get from more experienced fish owners.View attachment 284874

Otos do better in groups. Otos have a higher success rate in an established tank that has been running for a while (lots of biofilm present). I have 4 in my planted 20g and they are actively feeding nearly 'round the clock. And I don't feed them; there is plenty of algae and biofilm in the tank. I do throw an occasional algae wafer or slice of blanched zucchini every few weeks.
Your tank based on the bio load may not be the best place for an Otos. It is very overstocked for a 10g tank. This can lead to poor health due to poor water conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well luckily, we are planning to get a new tank, or a few, soon, a bigger tank that will be 20g or 30g. I can get my fish moved to better environments. Maybe even get a few more Otos. Thanks so much for giving me advice, I really need it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm kind of a noobie with my tank, because I've only had it since the start of 2016. I could use any advice that I can get from more experienced fish owners.View attachment 284874

Poor Oto. They aren't suited to Goldfish tanks.
They tend to waste away when kept singly. I try to keep at least 3-6 ( or more in bigger tanks ). They need heated tanks. GF need cool water.

Just FYI if your Goldfish are Comets or Commons they need a pond. For now the biggest tank you can afford or a large study plastic bin.
They hit 8-12" and need massive filtration and water changes to live in tanks.

Fancies ? Bare minimum ? 20g first fish and 10g per each additional. So start at 55-60g tank. Filtration ? Minimum 4x tank volume. 10x is better.
So 240 to 600g canister filter(s). They will need bigger tank to become normal sized and stay healthy. 5 ? Probably 100g or larger.

Goldfish are awesome ! But they need big tanks to grow properly. Commons can live 25 years or more. Fancies can live 15 years or more. The record for a common is believe 39 years.

Goldfish grow very fast and if they aren't growing they are becoming stunted and will have a very short life.

Baby compared to adult
e00ab2951d6c26ffce62ed24e1ad3387.jpg

1bd64d1fc7caea3a928349dc333b67c7.jpg

4e64847abe38c291a0fcfd2ddbe66b00.jpg

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

http://youtu.be/9Xx5JxzmkUc

http://youtu.be/aFD5qZ2xb7o

I'm sorry to drop some much stuff on you I really hope you can get things straightened out and keep your fish healthy in the meantime until you can decide what to do. These fish can really live very long time with good care.

I have had customers with older fish. I helped save a 17yo Oranda. She's still alive and well in her 75g tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning on getting a new tank just for Otos, I'll do something with the goldfish, get them a pond or sell them, because I probably cant get a 100g tank. Thanks for the advice, I don't want to kill the fish, I'll do what I need to do right next time I get fish.

Planning on getting a new tank just for Otos, I'll do something with the goldfish, get them a pond or sell them, because I probably cant get a 100g tank. Thanks for the advice, I don't want to kill the fish, I'll do what I need to do right next time I get fish.

You can keep Otos in a 10g. 20Long would be better, but mine do fine in a 10g.
d06579ee2a390b0ef74e8b61c2bd77bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom