Otos and spot algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a thought.

The majority of the algae in my QT is the hard-as-a-rock green spot algae. I'm noticing the otocinclus working hard at it, but the only thing that makes a dent in it are the snails. CAN otos even eat the green spot algae? I'm supplementing with sinking wafers which they love, so I'm not worried about nutrition, but wondered if they were getting anything from the algae in that tank.

I've never had my otos do anything with it. Manual removal is the only thing I've ever gotten to work...those magnetic pads work pretty well for me. It comes off really well if you let it dry out for a few minutes (like during a water change) and then scrub it with a wet algae scrubber.

I believe that otos specialize in diatoms, or brown algae, and the other types of algae are not as tasty to them. I don't have green spot in the tank that I have otos in, but I am not sure if it is because of the otos or in spite of them, because I never see them working on the glass much, even at night when the lights are out. I have nerite snails, so they might be doing the work.

Heh, I'm not particularly worried about getting the stuff off, as I was going to tear the tank down ages ago (but I keep buying fish and using it for the QT as its cycled LOL). Ill prob be breaking it down pretty soon, so I'll just leave the algae there for now and work on it when the tank is empty.

I just feel bad for the otos cause they are always sucking on the glass, and getting nowhere. They'll be thrilled to move into the 10g planted once QT is over; PLENTY of nice green algae/diatoms for em! Just didn't think they were getting anything out of the stuff in the QT tank; guess they aren't.

I occasionally have the same problem with hard spot algae and I have two ottos. They try, but cannot seem to get it off of anything. I have resorted to a product called AlgaeFix that works beautifully. It has taken 3 treatments (a dosage every 3 days) for a total of 9 days to eliminate the hard spot algae each time it has infested my tank. Afterwhich I do a 50% water change and add carbon for a couple of days in the filter to remove any trace of the AlgaeFix. It is safe for plants and has had no detectable effect whatsoever on my fish or plants. I am now trying more than ever though, to head off the hard spot algae infestation before it becomes a big problem as it has in the past. I am not a huge advocate of western medicine in my own life (but not an extremist) - let alone my fish. These days so many people are over-prescribed medications for conditions that non-drug therapy could control. But it should not negate the circumstances in which chemical intervention should be pursued. That's another topic... Anyway, I see nothing wrong with occasional usage of these types of products - as long as you get to the root of the problem so that you don't have to rely on it. Who knows what long term effects these types of treatments could have if used too often.

I have to admit, I'm not to worried about getting rid of it as the only tank that has it is the QT; none of my show tanks have had this prob.

I went and did some research on Algaefix afFISH, and I have to admit I'd be very leery about using it. I discovered the active ingredients are "POLY(OXYETHYLENE) (DIMETHYLIMINO) ETHYLENE (DIMETHYLIMINO) ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE" (see here: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/mee/2000-41mee.htm) and I went and looked them up. Eeek! It sounds pretty toxic to me: http://www.pesticideinfo.org/PCW/List_AquireAll.jsp?Rec_Id=PCAll&CAS_No=31512-74-0

Heh, think I'll stick to scraping it off when I (finally!) tear down that QT tank. I just feel bad for the otos; they work SO hard at that stuff, and have absolutely no effect.

*edit*
Looks like the acronym detector thinks the "ca" in the first URL needs to be highlighted; consequently it makes it unclickable. If you want to check it out, you'll have to cut n paste.

The problem is with the growth of this algae on my plants. I can't physically remove it without destroying the plant. That is why I resorted to it.

Oh I understand, just kinda freaked me out when I read all that stuff LOL

Obviously it hasn't been a prob for your fish; I wonder if they somehow buffer it? Anyway, the otos are known for cleaning aquarium plants without damaging them (unlike my plec which tears em up!) which is why I am SO impatient for their QT to finish! If the damn cardinals didn't keel over/get ich the first week, I could have moved everyone into that planted tank tonite *sigh*

Oh how funny. I came across this link on algae control tonite ( http://www.aquamaniacs.net/algae.html ) and in the midst of it, it says "Otos do no harm to plants or driftwood and will readily consume brown and green spot algae."

Apparently mine did not get the memo.

Back
Top Bottom