Our first fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sueq824

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone –
We just received our first fish tank, I believe it is 29 gallons. We want to make sure that we do it correctly so I am hoping that I can get some advice on where to start. My son can’t wait to put fish in it, but I told him we had to wait until the water was ready for the fish.
So far we have set it up, put in gravel, some plastic plants and some decorations to providing hiding places. On Sunday (6/26/11) will filled it with water, conditioned the water and ran the filter. We have a dual waterfall like filter as well as a bubbler. I used a test strip to test the water, but I have no idea what the colors mean (even after reading the box). I am taking a sample of the water to the pet shop to be tested.
I read a lot of discussion about cycling. I have no idea what that is. I am also trying to find what type of fish we should put in the tank. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Rule #1 of fish keeping- almost never listen to the people at the pet store...especially the major chains. They will tell you to buy a few "hardy" fish to help cycle your tank, what they don't tell you is that in order to keep these fish alive and not suffering...you'll need to do almost daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrIte levels at absolute minimums.

I also invite you to check out the guide and FAQ that was linked...and feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Welcome to the site btw :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone - I did bring my water to a pet store to get tested. Unfortunately by the time I got it there the water was warm and the guy told me that it can alter the test. Anyways the test he did showed high levels of ammonia. He suggested a get a couple of fish to help the cycle... But everything that I have read on here says not to cycle with fish. I am going to look at the links that have been posted. Again Thank you!

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

This link will answer all your questions.

Don't use strips. They are not very accurate, use an API Master Kit instead, it may cost money but is more accurate and definitely worth it.
There are A LOT of fish to choose from. What kind of fish do you like? If you're keeping tropicals, get a heater.
I am not sure what type of fish we want to get. There are not many pet stores around here the have a lot to fish to offer. I know my son like "different" fish, he would like some schooling fish, some sharks, a frog, some colorful fish, a buffer and a goldfish. I know this is an array of fish species. But these are some of the ones that he has seen and is interested in. What will go together is a different story.

Thank you everyone - I did bring my water to a pet store to get tested. Unfortunately by the time I got it there the water was warm and the guy told me that it can alter the test. Anyways the test he did showed high levels of ammonia. He suggested a get a couple of fish to help the cycle... But everything that I have read on here says not to cycle with fish. I am going to look at the links that have been posted. Again Thank you!

It's best to test your own water. That guy is definitely not smart, if it's high ammonia that means if you add fish it is going to kill the fish, by now you should have a good bacterial population in your tank that should turn ammonia into nitrite, then later some more bacteria that turns nitrites into nitrates, and if you have live plants, those nitrates will be absorbed by them. Warm water altering a test? I don't think that's true, and anyways if he's using strips its already innacurate. Just take it slow, and in three to four weeks your tank should be ready for some fish! :)

There's a good chance the ammonia the store saw were remnants of the chloramines used to treat your water by your municipality. The simple fact that the pet store would see ammonia, tell you it's high, and recommend adding fish in the same statement is conclusive proof that they don't have knowledge of the process, nor do they particularly care about the well-being of your fish.

I am not sure what type of fish we want to get. There are not many pet stores around here the have a lot to fish to offer. I know my son like "different" fish, he would like some schooling fish, some sharks, a frog, some colorful fish, a buffer and a goldfish. I know this is an array of fish species. But these are some of the ones that he has seen and is interested in. What will go together is a different story.

Well, I could tell you what will not work right now that you just listed. First, goldfish can only live with goldfish and koi, nothing else really because they're cold water fish. What do you mean by buffer? All schooling fish are peaceful and work, but there are some that might get too large for your tank. The best frogs are african dwarf frogs. Sharks usually get too large for your size tank, maybe if it was bigger. Hope I helped! :)

Well, I could tell you what will not work right now that you just listed. First, goldfish can only live with goldfish and koi, nothing else really because they're cold water fish. What do you mean by buffer? All schooling fish are peaceful and work, but there are some that might get too large for your tank. The best frogs are african dwarf frogs. Sharks usually get too large for your size tank, maybe if it was bigger. Hope I helped! :)
imo,frogs dont go with many fish,they like water around 80 degrees.

Oh...yeah most puffers are brackish, with the exception of the dwarf puffer, it is a possibility in a community tank, there are some people I know that have kept these with bettas, barbs, and other community fish, however keep in mind that these were all heavily planted tanks.

Not Buffer - Puffer

I am sorry, I meant to write puffer. Also will all sharks get to big? I also like swordtails.

Yeah, they need like forty gallons or bigger. Swordtails are fine, just get either all males or all females, because if you don't, they will breed. LIKE RABBITS. And your tank will soon be overrun with baby fishies everywhere!!!!

Yeah, they need like forty gallons or bigger. Swordtails are fine, just get either all males or all females, because if you don't, they will breed. LIKE RABBITS. And your tank will soon be overrun with baby fishies everywhere!!!!
sharks need 55 or more gallons. both genders of swordtail is fine,in a community tank the babys will have an incredibly low survival rate,if any even survive.

There's a good chance the ammonia the store saw were remnants of the chloramines used to treat your water by your municipality. The simple fact that the pet store would see ammonia, tell you it's high, and recommend adding fish in the same statement is conclusive proof that they don't have knowledge of the process, nor do they particularly care about the well-being of your fish.
Hi –
I was reading your link and it says that you should add ammonia to reach 4ppm, then it says to get some seeding material, what is that? Then I should test the levels every few days until they are at 1pp.
My question is I think I am already at 4ppm. When he tested the water it turned a greenish color. I will pick up a test kit tonight and check it myself. But if it does show that ammonia level is at 4ppm, then should I just wait and test every few days?
I am so glad that you are all helping me, because EVERY pet store told me I can put fish in right away.. How cruel!

Most pet stores know NOTHING, they just have a bunch of employees who are out for the money. There is the occasional lfs that comes along with pure intentions though.

Sueq824 said:
Hi –
I was reading your link and it says that you should add ammonia to reach 4ppm, then it says to get some seeding material, what is that? Then I should test the levels every few days until they are at 1pp.
My question is I think I am already at 4ppm. When he tested the water it turned a greenish color. I will pick up a test kit tonight and check it myself. But if it does show that ammonia level is at 4ppm, then should I just wait and test every few days?
I am so glad that you are all helping me, because EVERY pet store told me I can put fish in right away.. How cruel!

Seeding material is anything from an established aquarium that contains beneficial bacteria. The majority of it grows in the filter media, so any type of filter pad, sponge, ceramic media, etc... is best. Anything including a handful of gravel will help though. just ensure the tank it is donated from is healthy, because any type of pathogens from that tank can potentially be transmitted to yours.

Seeding material is a HUGE help, but not mandatory. People fishless cycle their tanks every day without it.

It takes a while for ammonia to start dropping (also depending on if you have seeded media or not), so once dosed up to 4ppm, try to forget about it for a while and check the levels again in a few days to see if there is any movement.

As mentioned, try to pick up an API master test kit. If you're using strips...you might as well just guess what the levels are.

Back
Top Bottom