Our new tank, and cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBsDad

Aquarium Advice Regular
My daughter and I are running our first fishless cycle. We started on 4-13 so today is day 14. Our current levels are: Ammonia 4ppm, Nitrite 2.0ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm, pH 7.6, Temp 78.

We started with an initial concentration of 4ppm ammonia as indicated by the API freshwater master test kit. With Nitrites and Nitrates on the rise, shouldn't we be seeing a drop in ammonia?

Yep! But don't worry, you're fine, your nitrite is rising, so your ammonia will start to drop.

Just be patient and keep dosing to keep your ammonia at 4 ppm!

Props for doing a fishless cycle.

Well, props should be rescinded. We knew nothing about cycling and killed 8 fish in two days. Shame on me for not doing some research. Like everything else, you never know you need research until something goes wrong. According to the pet store: Aquarium + water + fish. They left out the "= death" part of the equation. I thought people who raise and sell fish for a living would know better. Again, shame on me.

BTW, we haven't dosed with ammonia since the initial dose 14 days ago. It just keeps sitting there at 4ppm.

I refuse to rescind props. Everyone has a learning period and you're trying to do it right, now!

And some people's cycles are slower than others. If you want to speed it up, crank up the heater and add an aerator. You could go up to 86* F. That'll speed along the bacteria. Just make sure the aerator is going since hot water has less oxygen.

+1

I'm giving you that for mending you ways :D.

What you did at first isn't uncommon, going for a fishless cycle is also uncommon in the big picture unfortunately.

Your bacteria is just starting to use the ammo, so you should see that drop in the next couple days. test each day so you keep it at a minimum of 1ppm, then dose back up to 4ppm. The nitrItes (no2) will start to climb more and then fall as the second round of bacteria builds up. Once your tank uses 4ppm (+/-) in 24hrs, you'll be close to being cycled.

Please keep us updated and pics are always welcome

We actually have 2 aerators going at the moment. One is a silly turtle that raises it's head and bubbles (again, 10 year old daughter) the other is a small air stone. I'm keeping the water level down a bit to increase oxygen input as well. We will increase the temp to 86°F.

Incredible Mr. Limpet (yeah, I'm old enough to remember that one *sigh*), we test twice a day so JB can learn how to do it. I supervise her every step of the way. The Nitrate test still gives her a bit of trouble, but by the time the tank is cycled she should have it down to a science.

JBsDad said:
We actually have 2 aerators going at the moment. One is a silly turtle that raises it's head and bubbles (again, 10 year old daughter) the other is a small air stone. I'm keeping the water level down a bit to increase oxygen input as well. We will increase the temp to 86°F.

Incredible Mr. Limpet (yeah, I'm old enough to remember that one *sigh*), we test twice a day so JB can learn how to do it. I supervise her every step of the way. The Nitrate test still gives her a bit of trouble, but by the time the tank is cycled she should have it down to a science.

The nitrate test gives me trouble too. Good on ya letting your daughter help. Mine help me too. Let us know what we can do to help you, even if it is just to talk fish while your cycle continues.

Hey, I want volcano but my GF draws the line on that lol.

The no3 test is the toughest and getting the shaking right is important to make sure your readings are correct. I hate that one the most, myself :p. Until your ammo and no2 are showing the right signs, the no3 isn't a biggie but it's good that she's into testing.

She will be fine. She is the only person other than myself or my wife that I trust in the garden without supervision...LOL.

The cycle isn't killing us as much as it must other people. We have the plants to keep us occupied. Cycling takes time, gardening takes time. We waited 3 years to harvest our first grapes, now we have grape jelly in the cupboard, and lots of it.

Cycling a fish tank is actually pretty fast. Consider starting an apple tree...from start to first blooms can take 5 years. A new strawberry bed takes 2 years, a new asparagus bed 3 years. Even tomatoes take 5 months from seed in the flat to the first ripe fruit. Look at it that way and cycling a tank is very fast indeed. Maybe fish-keepers should be gardeners first...

JBsDad said:
She will be fine. She is the only person other than myself or my wife that I trust in the garden without supervision...LOL.

The cycle isn't killing us as much as it must other people. We have the plants to keep us occupied. Cycling takes time, gardening takes time. We waited 3 years to harvest our first grapes, now we have grape jelly in the cupboard, and lots of it.

Cycling a fish tank is actually pretty fast. Consider starting an apple tree...from start to first blooms can take 5 years. A new strawberry bed takes 2 years, a new asparagus bed 3 years. Even tomatoes take 5 months from seed in the flat to the first ripe fruit. Look at it that way and cycling a tank is very fast indeed. Maybe fish-keepers should be gardeners first...

Well put. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

+1 for gardening & planted tanks

I just got my first planting into my raised garden bed, now I just need to build the 2nd RGB lol.

Well put. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

You're welcome, but if my 6 year old Jonathan doesn't bloom this year I'm cutting it down and smoking ribs with it on the 4th of July :banghead: and staring over. Think re-starting a cycle is maddening???

JBsDad said:
You're welcome, but if my 6 year old Jonathan doesn't bloom this year I'm cutting it down and smoking ribs with it on the 4th of July :banghead: and staring over. Think re-starting a cycle is maddening???

Apple wood makes for nice bbq!

Update: Test results are exactly the same as a few days ago. Ammo at 4ppm, Nitrites at 2ppm. We increased the water temp to 86°. I would have thought the Nitrites would have gone up some or the ammo down a bit?

JBsDad said:
Update: Test results are exactly the same as a few days ago. Ammo at 4ppm, Nitrites at 2ppm. We increased the water temp to 86°. I would have thought the Nitrites would have gone up some or the ammo down a bit?

Doing good. Just have to wait....just refer to Eco's article and all will be fine. Turn the air stones on, (I put a 24 inch air wand in mine) and maybe put in a very small pinch of ground fish flakes in. That will sometimes kick start the cycle by adding trace elements. I added about 20 drops of ph down to do the same thing. Fish food does the same thing.

OK, was just curious. The air has been on for quite some time. I just assumed that once the Nitrites began to increase, it would go up a little faster. Looking at my log, Nitrites were 0 on 4-20, .25 on 4-21, 1.0 on 4-23, 2.0 on 4-24 and haven't budged since, so 6 days at the same level. Ammonia has been at 4.0 since starting the cycle on 4-13. We'll just wait and see.

JBsDad, becareful if you add any fish flakes. It did seem to kick start my cycle when things appeared to be stalled, but it also seemed to leave me with a infestation of planaria (disgusting little white worms).

I would imagine the decayed flakes and a combo of water conditions are to blame so it may not happen to everyone. In total, I only added enough food to feed a betta fish, maybe twice.

If I were to do it again, I would put the food in some kind of mesh bag, or anything that would prevent it from scattering in the substrate.

OK, was just curious. The air has been on for quite some time. I just assumed that once the Nitrites began to increase, it would go up a little faster. Looking at my log, Nitrites were 0 on 4-20, .25 on 4-21, 1.0 on 4-23, 2.0 on 4-24 and haven't budged since, so 6 days at the same level. Ammonia has been at 4.0 since starting the cycle on 4-13. We'll just wait and see.

Sounds to me like it might have stalled a bit. I'd suggest a PWC and re-dose the ammo.

Back
Top Bottom