Out of my element, new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I decided to take the jump over to FW after keeping SW for a while.

I have a 60gal tank, 130w PC 6700/10k, fluval 305.

I have a few convicts right now and im wondering if cichlids are species only? I was reading in another thread where a guy was putting rams in with more common FW fish like tetras etc etc. So im just wondering if i can house other fish in with some cichlids.

Also how many fish can i have in there?

ref. http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=94105

It really depends on the species. Some cichlids can only be mixed with their own kind or with certain other very robust species. The Malawi cichlids are a pretty good example. Rams and other dwarf cichlids are much more peaceful and can usually live in a community tank. I've never kept convicts, but I think they can get aggressive, particularly when breeding (you'll soon be overrun with fry, btw. Better get a plan for them together soon). If you did try to mix them with other fish they should be about the same size and/or temperament.

Here's what I suspect you could keep with convicts:
Plecos (research your species first so you don't wind up with a 2-footer)
Other SA cichlids - firemouths, etc.
Tiger barbs

But again, I've never kept them, so you should wait with someone with experience to chime in.

Typically a rule for stocking is 1" of adult fish/gallon. But its about more than just volume. I like the 1" of adult fish/12 sq in of surface area rule, as a 60g hex could not house as many fish as a 60g standard. That's a good starting point. But cichlids can be very messy (plecos too, if you go with them) and pollute the water, so you may want to stock lightly. Additionally, fish will need room to get away from aggressors, so a tank stocked with aggressive fish should also be stocked lightly and/or provide plenty of plants and decor for other fish to hide. It's not uncommon for a spawning pair of cichlids to kill everything else in the tank, but whether convicts do it too, I don't know.

Marc118 said:
Hey guys, I decided to take the jump over to FW after keeping SW for a while.

I have a 60gal tank, 130w PC 6700/10k, fluval 305.

I have a few convicts right now and im wondering if cichlids are species only? I was reading in another thread where a guy was putting rams in with more common FW fish like tetras etc etc. So im just wondering if i can house other fish in with some cichlids.

Also how many fish can i have in there?

ref. http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=94105
The thread you are referring to was started by me :D . The Bolivians and the German Blues are considered to be fairly peaceful. The Bolivians "can" get aggressive when spawning. However, the convicts are, to quote fishprofiles.com, "Temperament: Aggressive; Extremely aggressive. ".

It seems the majority of folks adding other species with their convicts end up having problems. I am sure there are probably a few other fish that could hold their own in a tank with convicts. I dont know which those might be, though.

Here are a few threads that might be of interest though.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...nvicts&pc_tzo=-18000&pc_d=20070222&pc_t=47185
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80210&highlight=convicts

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I may be getting rid of the con's. I like variety in my tanks for the most part and it looks like theres more options with community fish?

Marc118 said:
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I may be getting rid of the con's. I like variety in my tanks for the most part and it looks like theres more options with community fish?
The possibilities are nearly endless with "community" fish from what I gather. You can mix-n-match or do a theme, etc., etc. But you're not new to aquariums and know that already. :lol:

Good luck with your tank.

Will the fluval 305 be enough flow/circulation for the 65*g or will i be needing a powerhead on the opposite side of the return hose?

Back
Top Bottom