Out: UG Filter and Coarse Gravel; In: Eco-complete (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added new lights to my 38-gallon (36" long x 12" deep x 20" tall) tank, but after reading a LOT here and starting to read my new book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist, Second Edition" (which is terrific), I've decided to remove my undergravel filter and coarse pebble gravel and replace it with a real substrate.

I've pretty much decided on Eco-complete, but have a few questions. How deep a layer should I make, and how many 20 pound bags will I need to buy?

My undergravel filter is "powered" by two powerheads. I'd like to keep one, as my Zebra Danios and Bamboo shrimp really like it. Its intake is covered by a vent to keep it from sucking in fish, but will this be sufficient? Will having a "loose" power-head be a problem?

I'm planning to put my large ornamental rocks, driftwood, and filter media into a clean, chemical-free plastic tub, covered with tank water during the re-working of the tank. The fish will go into a 20L tank with the plants from the 38 (to provide some cover and help reduce stress). Both tanks will have airstones to keep the water oxygenated during the transfer, which I'm hoping will only take a couple of hours...

My plan is to first put 4-8 gallons of tank water into the plastic tub and another 6-10 gallons of tank water into the empty 20L tank, and get both airstones running. Then I'll remove the rock, driftwood, and filter media and place into the tub, making sure they are submerged. Then I'll carefully remove the plants and place into the 20L tank. Then I'll even-more-carefully catch the fish and put them into the 20L tank. After this, I'll empty the 38 of water and remove the undergravel filter and old coarse pebble gravel, then rinse the tank lightly to remove any excess gunk from the undergravel filter. Then I'll add the Eco-complete (probably a 2" layer, I'm thinking, unless anyone advises otherwise) Then, I'll add Prime-treated fresh water until the tank is about 1/2 full. Then I'll add the rocks and driftwood back in, rearranging the Eco-complete so the rocks are well seated against the bottom glass (rockslides are no fun). After this comes the filter, heater, and powerhead (possibly). Then I'll re-plant the plants (except for the Anachris, which I like floating), then put the fish back in and finally put the Anachris back in. Whew!

This will hopefully keep my biological filter largely intact, as I will do my best to minimally disturb any bacteria on the rocks, driftwood, plants, and filter media. The plants should help keep the fish calm, and the airstones will keep the water oxygenated for the transfer.

Does this plan sound okay? Am I missing anything important?

your going to need about 40 to 60 pounds if i am not mistaken, to give u a 2 inch front and a 3 to 4 inch back.

HERE is a good substrate calculator. All you do is plug in the length and width of your tank and how deep a substrate you want. It doesn't give you the option of having 2 different levels for front and back, but I'd just put in 2.5 inches, if you want about 2 in the front and 3 in the back (sloping helps bring the nasties to the front so they are easier to get to when gravel vac'ing).

I will be changing my gravel to Eco in my 55g today. I'll let you know how it goes. I am going to put my fish in an empty 55g and run my HOB filter.

Your plan sounds good to me. If your gravel isn't too big, you can leave just a small amount under the Eco to have some of your bacteria in there. That's what I plan on doing. Just leave some in the middle of the tank, so you can't see it and cover it with the Eco.

According to the calculator, you'll need 48lbs for a 2 inch layer, but I'd get 60lbs instead of 40, so you can slope it a little in the back.

My 60lbs of Eco-Complete has been ordered, and I bought a 20L tank (my temporary holding tank for this event, later to be used as a quarantine tank) over the weekend from my LFS. So, I'll have everthing I need to complete this (except for time) soon...

My hope is to do this on Saturday or Sunday this weekend or next weekend. I'll tank before and after pictures, and update this thread after the deed is done!

The Eco-Complete arrived today. One bag burst in shipment, making a huge nasty mess out of its box. Luckily, it only shared its box with another bag of Eco-Complete, so the other supplies I ordered with it weren't damaged. Drs. Foster and Smith is sending out a replacement bag today, so hopefully I can do "the big switch" next weekend. I was hoping to do it this weekend, but its going to be a very busy weekend so the delay may turn out to be for the best.

I also ordered some swahala and madagascar driftwood from Drs. Foster and Smith yesterday, so I may have time to boil/soak it and put it into the tank when I replace the substrate.

Whew!!! Well its done, and I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Everything went as planned, and the total overhaul took about 5 hours. The old UG filter and gravel have been disposed of, and replaced with 60lbs of Eco-Complete (though I may buy another bag to fill in some areas I'd like a little deeper). Eco-Complete is VERY easy to work with, requiring no rinsing/cleaning at all.

I put in ALL the rocks from the old setup (because they are coated with beneficial bacteria), along with a lot of new driftwood, so the tank is a little crowded now. I'll remove the extra rocks over the next couple of weeks.

I don't seem to have lost any fish, but my bamboo shrimp is in hiding and I can't find him (but that's not too unusual for him, plus the new layout has a lot more hiding spaces).

I'm exhausted now, since I also got in 1/2 day of regular work in addition to the tank overhaul. I'm going out for a nice Thai dinner and then will probably head to bed early. I hope the pictures I took are OK; I was rushing to keep my fish from stressing out too much and so didn't check them as I took them. We'll find out tomorrow, I suppose!

Thanks to all for the advice on the UGF, substrates, lighting, etc.. You all have made my take overhaul a lot easier and lot more successful! :)

I'm glad everything went well and I look forward to the pictures. I was exhausted after my overhaul as well....it takes alot of energy!

5 hours! I recently started a 10 gallon tank with Eco-Complete. I used one bag. The plants are just floating in the tank right now. It will probably take me 2 hours to get everything re-arranged in there.

I'm glad your changeover went well - hope you find your bamboo shrimp! Enjoy your dinner and post pics soon!

kaz said:
your going to need about 40 to 60 pounds if i am not mistaken, to give u a 2 inch front and a 3 to 4 inch back.

I would completely agree there. You will need 3 bags. May not need all of the 3rd bag, but I would still put it all in and have a little more up front. Then taper it so it's deeper in the back than the front, or can have one side or the other deeper than the rest as well, like a hillside on one side of the tank. Lots of things you can do. :)

The pictures are up now! Click on the link in my signature to go to my .Mac home page. I have a new "Aquarium Blog" entry with details of the overhaul, and added 9 new pictures to my "Aquarium Album" section with in-progress and final pictures.

My shrimp seems okay. I spied him last night after the light went out. He was exploring the driftwood and seemed fine. He's hiding again today, though. He may decide to hide more with the new layout, since it now offers more hidey holes for him. Or he may just be adjusting and become more sociable again in time.

All of the fish seems to be doing well. The loaches seem really happy; they're spending a lot of time zipping up and down one side of the tank, and chasing each other all over the place. The Cory's seem happy with the larger and more numerous caves and shaded spots. The fish all are well, too, which seems to be a good sign! :)

:eek2: What beautiful pictures! I have to admit I went to the garden pictures first! I love coleus plants! The aquarium pics are great too -you put a lot of work into your tank.

Thanks for the kind words!! The marvelous tanks of other members here have been a real inspiration to me.

An t-iasg, I love Coleus too! Unfortunately my local nurseries haven't carried any healthy coleus plents for the past two springs. The coleus pictures on my web site are from summer 2004. They were so beautiful that year!

I'm still tweaking and slightly rearranging my tank. I like the overall look, but am trying to get a little more color and height. I ordered more plants yesterday, and have a large Aponogeton to move to my 38 from another tank (I saved a spot in the 38's left-rear for this particular plant), so later this week the 38 should look even better! :)

Also, the shrimp does appear fine! He's being more nocturnal lately, as is the bamboo shrimp in my 20L. Perhaps its seasonal, or weather-related? Anyway, he's found nice dark hiding place in the driftwood on the right side of the tank, which hides him VERY well but still has lots of water movement from the power head. He seems to love it there. Last night I found him hanging onto the filter intake tube (an old favorite spot).

EDIT: My work to preserve as much biofilter as possible was successful! Neither Ammonia nor Nitrites have tested above 0. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom