Outdoor pond question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dont have one but this summer was thinking of putting one in. I was wondering what you do with the fish in the winter. Around here it freezes. I have heard of fish freezing in the ice in the winter and then when the thaw comes the start swimming again. Is this legit or do you use heaters. Is there a certain type of fish that will withstand the cold if a fountain is placed in the water so it wont freeze. What is the what here?

If you go deeper than ~3' you pond should never freeze solid. As long as the fish don't freeze solid in ice, they should be fine.

Comets (common goldfish) are a pretty solid choice for ponds. You can buy them cheap as feeders, and they should survive the winter without a problem.

A fountain in the winter is a bad idea, there is a thread somewhere describing how the stream of water froze, and most of the water rerouted out of the pond. All you really need to do is a keep a hole open in the ice to allow gas exchange. A small heater will do the trick.

winter retreat

Hi, I have a pond with a koi and a half a dozen comets. In the winter I transfer them to a 110 gallon rubbermaid tub I bought at the local tractor store. It is in the unfinished basement.I do weekly pwc and they all seem healthy.

Can't you keep a bubbler going - a pump going. If you keep a pump with bubbler and make it a deep pond you should be fine. Deeper is better anyway so that racoons can't get into it. I live in LA and have a deep pond (very large) with a fish house also. Go ahead and do it but dig deep and make sure that there is a bubbler.Housing fish in winter inside from a pond is ok too, but lots of work. I was from the midwest so know how cold it gets, but you should be fine with a lot of preparation.

Ahh I dont have the room to do that in my basement. Other things have occupied the space. So what do you just dig your hole then get a rubbermaid liner for the pond?

Ahh I dont have the room to do that in my basement. Other things have occupied the space. So what do you just dig your hole then get a rubbermaid liner for the pond?

Essentially. For a quick cost estimate check out this thread where I priced out a fairly reasonable starter pond.

For the most part the liner is going to be the most expensive part. To do size calculations add 2x depth + width + 2' (edging). If you wanted a 4'x4' pond that was 3' deep you would need a 12'x12' liner. With a 15'x15' you could do something with a nice shelf like I attempted to draw below. 1' edging, 1' drop, 1' shelf, 3' drop, 3' wide at bottom.

/\_ ......._/\
...| ......|
...|.......|
...|_ _ _|

if you just use what he shoes on the link with out a good heater your fish will freeze! what keeps them warmer in a hole is the ground around them. unless you are in a warmer part of the states where it does not freeze you would most likely be in trouble, ok and as for what to do for the pond is
1= figure out where you want it located
2= the dept width and length
3=do you want a water fall and if so how many gph
4= add up all your calculations
5= get a PVC or similar type lining. preforms are a haste
6=dig hole if your going to have a water fall dig a hole for the skimmer to
7=put skimmer in place
8=put linner in
its not just this simple but its not hard eather

if you have any questions drop me a note

if you don't think i know what im talking about
go to Justin Prim | MySpace.com and check out my pictures under my pond section

best of luck!!

Wintering in the basement

The tank I put in the basement wont freeze as long as my house is heated. It stays in the 50degree range without a heater.I have increased it to 60 degrees with a small heater but its really not necessary.This is just a place to winter my fish instead of keeping and heating a larger body of water from freezing over in sub 20 degree weather. it works well And I know the condition of my fish at any time without dealing with ice.

The tank I put in the basement wont freeze as long as my house is heated. It stays in the 50degree range without a heater.I have increased it to 60 degrees with a small heater but its really not necessary.This is just a place to winter my fish instead of keeping and heating a larger body of water from freezing over in sub 20 degree weather. it works well And I know the condition of my fish at any time without dealing with ice.

oh yea that will work indoors i was talking about out doors sorry if it seemed that i was going agenst what you meant. i have seen where people put one of those on a deck built up bricks around it and thought the fish would not freez

re: angletank

oh yea that will work indoors i was talking about out doors sorry if it seemed that i was going agenst what you meant. i have seen where people put one of those on a deck built up bricks around it and thought the fish would not freez
No apology needed. Your point is valid. Also that is one **** of a water scape project posted in your link.

thanks it took 2 summers to finish it, due to problems with the waterfall and the owner had changed his mind about a few things (that i told him was wrong in the first place). but yea i am very proud of that pond

Back
Top Bottom