Over-crowded??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently had 6 neon tetras in my 10 gal. tank with a couple of sunburst platy's....but I decided to get some new fish...(maybe 3 or 4 guppies)..so i just gave my fish away to a close neighbor( he also has a 10 gal.) but I think he's overcrowded he has 6 neon tetras ,2 platys,2white clouds,1 otocinclus,and 2 guppies...how often should he do water changes?....How much water should he change?.....I'm a little concerned because they did used to be my fish....(his tank has been set-up for almost over 2 months)....

Yes he's overcrowded but not severely but at the edge. If he does two good water changes a week (20% each time) he will probably be Ok. However, he has livebearers in there so he's almost certainly going to have babies (unless they are all males) and that will add too much to the tank. So, unless he has another tank to put all fry in he may want to reconsider having the Platies and Guppies.
Also, White clouds really do better in and like cooler water. It would be in their best interest to put them in a different tank with cooler water.

And the white clouds are schooling fish, so 2 of them isn't going to make them happy.

I agree that he is overcrowded, but not too bad. I'd do weekly water changes and gravel vacs...changing out 50% of the water. Or two changes of about 20%...like mentioned above.

Tell him not to add anymore fish.

Back
Top Bottom