overcrowded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1121

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did the math and found out that all my fish combined at adult size take up 49 gallons. I only have a 40 gallon fish tank. Is that going to be ok?

ForumRunner_20130617_155233.jpg

Yeah did you run it through aqadvisor? Inch per gallon rule? There really isn't a for sure method for stocking. So yeah a stock list would be great

I have 3 candy platies (adult size 2.5 in), 3 tiger barbs (2.5 ") , 4 zebra danios (2") , 2 pearl gourami (4") , 2 albino bristlenose plecos (5") , and two red swordtails(4") . I got the number by adding all the adult sizes and going by the rule of thumb for one inch per gallon.

The gallons per inches is a outdated useless rule nowadays. With us having a low more knowledge about fish the stocking is based more on an individual fishes bio load.

Plecos and goldfish for example have an enormous impact on bioload while platys and mollys don't even come close. My advice is to put your fish and tank info into Aqadvisor and see what it tells you and go from there. It seems to be a very good base line, but it is also easy to overstock compared to their numbers. I had a 29g tank at 150% stocking level for months without any issues at all as long as I kept up on maintenance

Ok. Thanks ill run it through aqadvisor. I dont think its too much overcrowding and they will be fine. Thanks for ur help. I had no idea the inches/gallon rule was outdated.

Your tank looks really nice Fishman. I have a 36 gal and according to the "old rule", I'm slightly overstocked, but I have a lot of small fish. My water params are excellent and I do a small PWC each week, so I'm not worried. I have a planted tank and a lot of healthy and happy little fish!

Back
Top Bottom