Overfed fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was away for a week and left my family to take care of my fish. I had done a water change before I left and wrote very clear feeding instructions, so I thought everything would be fine. But I came home to find two dead danios and one dead guppy and the rest with bulging stomachs! I felt like screaming!!! So, should I be worried about the remaining fish? Will it negatively impact the fish/tank, or will they be fine?

Should balance out. Bit bigger water change next time. Stern talking to the fish for being greedy :)

Even with an automated feeder here I seem to have a fish lost every time I take a holiday.

I heard you could just not feed your fish for a week and they'd still be fine.

All I do is a large pwc and feed a little more than usual right before I go. Never had an issue. Lights on timers.

I've definitely had not the best of experiences when asking people to watch a tank for me....long time ago but I left for 2 weeks one time so I asked them to do one water change and feed them a few times when they could. I explained everything extremely thoroughly and I came home to ALL of my fish dead. No dechlorinator.....ughhhh

29g Community

10g Betta

I heard you could just not feed your fish for a week and they'd still be fine.

I've thought about it but the plants would be shredded. I run the auto feeder at a light dose.

It's possible the temp gets one as we go away for a week over summer and coming back the tank is usually over 86F (30C).

I wanted to just not feed the fish while I was gone, but they seem to think that the fish have to be fed as often as possible. I tried explaining about how underfeeding is better than overfeeding, but... ? So they should be okay?

Yeah they should be all good. Just maybe skip for a few days and see how they are. If they keep staying fat maybe feed just a shelled pea to get things going. Over feeding can cause them to back up.

29g Community

10g Betta

I'm going on a vacation in a few weeks for a week and someone is coming over to watch the house I really hope nothing bad happens while I'm gone... Lights already run on timers and going to leave a very very very detailed sheet explaining feeding.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Plenty of people over feed fish to get them conditioned for spawning. If fed the right food with proper conditions overfeeding is not that bad at all.

I've just had the same done to me, it's taken a week of gradual reductions and now we are back to Normal feeding .. And my recently adopted betta is now in a qt tank suffering with bloat and I presume dropsy poor boy..
I have been advised by several friends to buy a weekly pill box for each tank and add the amount of food needed daily.. Great idea so before I forgot I went out and bought 2 .
So I'm now keeping my fingers crossed my poor betta recovers he's almost 2 yrs old ..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The pill box is a brilliant idea!

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

All I do is a large pwc and feed a little more than usual right before I go. Never had an issue. Lights on timers.

I've definitely had not the best of experiences when asking people to watch a tank for me....long time ago but I left for 2 weeks one time so I asked them to do one water change and feed them a few times when they could. I explained everything extremely thoroughly and I came home to ALL of my fish dead. No dechlorinator.....ughhhh

29g Community

10g Betta

Wow god knows how my fancies survived then, when I was a kid I didnt use dechlorinator for 3yrs!!!?? Horrifies me now as an adult

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom