Overflow Design Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im still in the design stages of my over flow and sump, and a question has arisen.

I want to have as much as possible (equipment) on the other side of my wall, so Id like my overflow to be of a two piece design, one standard in the tank, the other on the opposite side of the wall. This way it will be able to drain straight from the 2nd piece of the overflow into the sump and keep the visible components in my viewing room to a minimum.

I havent seen a single design for a two piece overflow. Im wondering if there is a problem in doing things this way. The only one I can think of is that the additional distance might make the siphon break more likely, but I can minimize that by using deep chambers, smaller tubing (3/4", 2 pipes if necessary) and 2 chamber design on the second.

Anybody have any input good or bad for me? Im stuck with a tank that isnt drilled so Im going to have to make do.

I think your trying to make this more complex than it has to be. If you go with a reefready tank that has internal overflows then you just plumb your drain lines thru the wall into your sump and then plumb your return lines the same way thru the wall and to your tank.

If your using a hang on overflow then you will have two parts to the overflow already. The intank portion of the overflow box and the portaion that hangs on the side of teh tank that has the drain's attached. You then plumb these lines thru the wall into your equipment room.

This is exactly what I did. The overflow is about 3" thick so the tank is about 5" from the wall to give room for the overflow and some room for plumbing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom