Overflow tank issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeraE1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a Red Sea Reef setup two days ago. Last night it started making gurgling noises and I noticed that the water was extremely low in the overflow tank and excessive air bubbles were in the main tank. It was very noisy. I had to turn off the power because I was afraid I would burn out the pump. Does anyone have any idea about what may have happened? Also I am new to this hobby and only know how to clean the filters and empty the skimmer. I am unfamiliar with the other components attached to the sump. I’m worried about the fish and coral.

Are you talking about the water level in the sump?

Water evaporates over time. You need to be adding fresh water to maintain the water level in the sump otherwise it will evaporate and kill the pump. What in the sump are you unfamiliar with? Did you purchase a full setup with fish and coral that was already cycled?

I get about a gal a day of evaporation its pretty normal you need to top off between water changes .

Overflow Issue Resolved

I did need more water, but the problem was caused but a piece of styrofoam that clogged one of the hoses.

I use a 90 dgree elbow on the intake of my pumps so they draw off the very bottom of sump. About 1/4 inch off bottom. Most have threads for one.
Even with inches of good water a strong pump can cause cavitation [whirlpool] that will draw bubbles into the return.
Have you made marks on your sump so you know what full is running ?
To do so turn the pump off and then wait for tank to settle and stop overflowing.Fill the sump to about 2" from the top.Then turn pump back on and mark the level on sump after running and balanced for a couple minutes.This will be the full when running level so you don't over fill your sump and have issues if power fails or during some maintenance .

Sump

I’m afraid that is a lot of information for me. I am having trouble with the skimmer though. It continually fills with water. I had someone out for maintenance who showed me where the level should be, he made adjustments, but an hour later the skimmer was filled to the brim with water again. I made adjustments myself after calling the store, but this morning it was filled again. Right now it is raised very high in the tank on a plastic pedestal.I was told this can be lowered once the tank breaks in. I have a 112 gallon RedSea Reef. The skimmer is an S-200. I am aware where the optimum sump level is and have been diligent about keeping it there. The water in the main tank is hazy.

Is the skimmer brand new? There’s usually a break in period for skimmers of 1-2 weeks where it will overflow and fill up like that until it breaks in. You could try giving it a good vinegar bath and see if that helps.

Skimmer

Yes. Everything is new. Thank you for that information. At least now I know what to expect.

Close the air intake valve on skimmer leave it like that a week or so than slowly open the air valve till you hear the skimmer start making a humming sound , now the skimmer should start working correctly.

Skimmer

I’ve got it closed all the way. I raised it another inch. It seems to be helping.

Back
Top Bottom