Overhauling 120 gallon Tanganyika tank, pic heavy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't, honestly. I'm not familiar with Puka shell at all. I kind of like adding the buffer because I do large water changes, and adding a bunch of really soft tap water to the tank without dumping some buffer in there along with it, probably isn't a great idea for us. Or maybe I'm overthinking it? I don't know. There's probably 100-120 lbs of holey rock in there, with plans to add some more as I'm able to find it.

Discus breed in our local tap water. LOL! That's why South Americans are so popular in our area, and why I don't have as much experience with Rift Lakes as a lot of other hobbyists.

*edit* Disclaimer: I don't just dump buffer into my tanks like my post indicated. I measure it very carefully.

ROFLing! I'd keep using the buffer, sounds like you have a system down. I was just thinking out loud with the shell idea. We've the opposite situation around here, and aragonite easily gets me into the 7.8 to 8.0 range, so Africans are pretty popular. Of course most around here keep a mixture of South American and Africans :banghead: despite my efforts to educate them. Fortunately we have a new aquarium club starting up, so maybe we will get them edumacated yet :angel:.

Next time try Florida crushed coral as a bottom layer then arg sand on top I do this with my breeding tanks...to pump ph..but I do crushed coral then pool sand

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just a few pics of the Neolamprologus cylindricus that I believe to be a pair... we purchased the group of 5 as a breeding group, and we have been waiting for fry for a while now. They seem to like the holey rock a lot more than they liked the river rock, and I KNOW they like having the leleupi out of there. They are now the dominant fish in the tank. LOL

20140321_201049.jpg

20140321_201146.jpg

20140321_201330.jpg

20140321_201421.jpg

Wow, those are some gorgeous fish - I checked to see if those were available after you posted that you had gotten them, but none available at this point. I shall definitely have to keep my eyes open for those. Good luck on the babies!

Best camera for fish I hear are dslr cameras. ..I'm gonna invest in 1 soon

I know, we have an old one but I don't really know how to use it very well and we don't have a macro lens for it. We are thinking about replacing it but haven't decided on anything yet.

Ya that's the way to go I hear and what I'm gonna have to do too...keep in touch might be able to ship ya out so fish if ya want anthonysafricans@gmail.com n I'll give ya a list if wat I got by summer right now all I got is a bunch of synodontis petricola fry

A few pics from tonight with our new Nikon. :)

One of the cylindricus has been guarding the same cave for going on a week now. I suspect we may have eggs, as we purchased them as a proven breeding group.

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Thank you! We got the Nikon D3200 for a great deal (refurbished). Our other DSLR is an old Nikon D40 so this is an amazing step up. :)

Finally, we got a killer deal on the rock we were looking for. This, my friends, is approximately 220 lbs. of Texas holey rock. The largest piece weighs about 60 lbs. I finally get to finish the rock work.... More pics to come later.
uploadfromtaptalk1399395717067.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Cyprichromis leptosoma "blue flash".

I've got the rock in the tank. Pics when it clears up. That was seriously one of the most physically demanding things I have done in a long time. I underestimated the process. But, at least it's done.

Back
Top Bottom