Overstocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stoneydee

Aquarium Advice Freak
We all know the "rules" on stocking tanks. So how many of us obey the rules with religious fervor, and even take into account the body and waste mass of fish when stocking?

I usually suggest to every one one inch per gallon, since this would insure great working filtration & reduce the bio load build up.

1 inch per gallon is flawed, Using that I could put a 10inch oscar into a 10gal tank.

You have to use common sense, and think about the adult size of your fish.

Like oscars for example, their cute and little when their 2 inches long, but how big is it going to be when it grows up? HUGE. So if you plan to have him you have to not only go sparse on other fish, but have to find fish that will co-habitate with it.

Common sense stuff :)

Thats the reason I used an oscar for example, Its max size is between 10 and 12 inches, perfect fit for a 10gal tank according to the inch rule.

But do you think an oscar would be very happy in a tank he could barely turn around in?

That 1 inch rule works fine with barbs and tetras but doesn't really work for fish that get much over 3 inches in size.

I understock my tanks compared to most people. 5 minnows and 3 cories in a 10 gallon. Doesn't fit the 1 inch rule but surely isn't overstocked.

I don't follow the 1 inch = 1 gal rule at all; I find it inaccurate as all get out.

After considering adult size, temperament, room needed to move and amount of surface area, I then consider water husbandry and what type of tank (gravel bottom, planted, etc).

For example, one of my tanks is technically somewhat overstocked. However, while my 10g contains 5 neons, 3 dwarf gouramis, 2 otos, 6 cherry shrimp and a bamboo shrimp, it is also well planted, and I keep on top of the water parameters. I do very small water changes weekly to remove extra debris from the substrate surface, but really don't do major changes often at all. None of the fish need large amounts of room, and even the dwarf gouramis get along.

My 55g contains 6 angelfish, 4 loaches and a plec. That one gets a 20-30% water change every week. Up until recently its been a fine set-up. However, the angels have reached breeding age, and the agression in the tank has been turned up. 2 will be moving into my 25g in a couple of weeks to reduce aggression, even tho that would technically leave my tank understocked.

So yeah, I do follow "rules" although they are not written ones. Its worked wonderfully so far.

I have NOT done major research on this issue but with a good effective modern filtration and aeration systems, I would think that the amount of fishes you can add to a tank is NOT based on the bio load any longer but probably more on the volume of water and compatibility issues.

Those rules were based on bio load and surface areas etc all which can be circumvented with technology. However better safe than sorry

Back
Top Bottom