P,ed off and confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone says that I need the heat. Anyway I least I can get the tank cycled and done properly

You do not NEED the heat. Heat is used to speed up the life cycle of the ich, or to increase the production of beneficial bacteria while cycling a tank--but this isn't a typical case. You are trying to do too many things at once and the health of your stock should be your primary concern!!!! You can't make someone better by killing them with treatments. Back off of the heat and meds for a bit---see what happens.

Okay, I don't know how everyone missed this but you said you had detectable levels of nitrItes. Nitrites are just as if not more toxic to fish than ammonia. This is likely what caused the beginning of your fish dying. I am 100% certain that increased temperatures increase the toxicity of ammonia, therefore it would stand to reason that increased temperatures would also increase the toxicity of nitrites.

The nitrites combined with the temperature treatment of ich is most likely what contributed to the massive amount of loss that you have experienced.

Increase water changes until you get nitrites down to .25ppm and keep them there. You can do a 50% water change hourly until you get it under control.

Lastly, Ich is not a terrifyingly deadly parasite. It takes time to build up to a high enough level in the aquarium to cause death. Cycling your tank is more important at this point in time than treating the ich. The added medication (what kind did you use?) could have made the situation worse.

Ok let's just calm down for a second here. Artist Gardner, I agree with what you say but it's very easy to get in to this kind of situation where you think you are doing what's best for your fish.

You try everything you have heard and when it doesn't seem to be working you do something else and then something else. Before you know it you can't remember what you have done or tried and it can be just as stressful for the owner as it is for the fish.

Kevin. Turn down heater for now and stop dosing medications. These are just adding to the stress off the fish which opens them up to all kinds of disease. Chewed tail could be fin rot for example due to poor water quality.

Right now you need to finish the cycle at a stress free temperature. Add carbon to remove meds or do a couple of water changes.

You also need to buy a proper liquid test kit with a chart. High nitrites will also suffocate fish making it seem like it's because of the parasite but truth be known. None of it is helping.

Get your water pristine and finish your cycle. We can take it from there.

Touched on high nitrites here but since the op has doing 50% water changes every day for the last 3 days it became less important. Especially since we have already encouraged him to finish the cycle and ensure pristine water conditions aided by a liquid test kit.

I haven't come across anything to suggest nitrite toxicity increase with temp directly but since nitrites make it difficult for fish to breathe, lower O2 levels by increased temp is going to make it twice as difficult.

Thank you for your advice. I have only been doing this for 2 months!
My first I have had. I will take things one step at a time.
First, turn down heat.
Second wait for the cycle to finish

I used malachite green for med. I have a nutrafin test kit. The problem is that I'm colour blind and it is hard to tell the difference between the levels. I have my air stone on full power. My nitrites are a little high but I thought that can be controlled with WC

Touched on high nitrites here but since the op has doing 50% water changes every day for the last 3 days it became less important. Especially since we have already encouraged him to finish the cycle and ensure pristine water conditions aided by a liquid test kit.

I haven't come across anything to suggest nitrite toxicity increase with temp directly but since nitrites make it difficult for fish to breathe, lower O2 levels by increased temp is going to make it twice as difficult.

The only thing I've seen on that subject is that "it hasn't been adequately studied" I am of the mind that with insufficient knowledge it's better to be safe than sorry.

I used malachite green for med. I have a nutrafin test kit. The problem is that I'm colour blind and it is hard to tell the difference between the levels. I have my air stone on full power. My nitrites are a little high but I thought that can be controlled with WC

From what I've found malachite green is a respiratory poison and becomes more toxic to fish at higher temperatures. This is the reason why I always be sure to caution everyone against combining medication treatments with heat treatments. Assuming that nitrite functions in a similar fashion to ammonia (nobody knows for sure) a .5ppm concentration could potentially cause damage to fish at higher temperatures. Combining this with lower oxygen in higher temp waters (As caliban pointed out), potential poisoning from malachite green, and any parasitic infection of the gills on fish then that would explain the exact issues you've been having.

Nitrites can be controlled with water changes but you have to make sure to do enough of them. If you are having issues reading the test results you can always post pictures online for us to help you out with. It's a fairly common practice.

Thank you for your advice. I have only been doing this for 2 months!
My first I have had. I will take things one step at a time.
First, turn down heat.
Second wait for the cycle to finish

Take things slow and try not to panic :) Sorry that you lost a lot of fish :( It can be difficult to get a healthily stocked aquarium but once it gets there it's a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom