Pacu Born in 1967

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Went to a LFS today and seen this Pacu it was in a small tank because his real tank broke and i seen a very old HOB Most tanks were slate bottom with chrome finish and ran with UGFs here are some pics HES 43

Attachments

• IMG00409.jpg
    IMG00409.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00408.jpg
    IMG00408.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG00407.jpg
    IMG00407.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 102
They say the one at my kids school is 20 years old. I figured a 43 year old pacu would be larger.

They say the one at my kids school is 20 years old. I figured a 43 year old pacu would be larger.

It is probably stunted growth from a small tank. If he was for sale i probably would have bought him and stuck him in my pond.

NOT FOR SALE that part got cut out lol their was another fish i forgot what it was but it was big

I felt sorry for him when i walked in with my girl and she was like isnt he too big for that tank??? and look at his filter size i wonder how he made it all these yearss

larger fish tend to live a lot longer then smaller fish. this doesnt shock me at all.

I saw this fish on the news last year. Impressive, but not unheard of. The Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago had a tarpon that died a few years back that, if I recall correctly, was estimated to be in the 50+ year range.

Catfish can live a long time. I've got a raphael that's at least 16 years old. I've seen sturgeon caught that were estimated to be 100+.

And people dont repect these animals. My mom has koi in her pond that over 30 years old. It is like seeing a grand parent when I visit them.

This fish is native to my parents country in guyana and when i told them how big this one was they replied to me and said that is tiny compared to the real guys

It is sad to see him in such a small tank. To know that he could stay in small tanks for decades, just looking out.

There's a huge fish at our LFS, in a little tank that essentially allows him to swim in a tiny circle. When a person comes anywhere near the tank, he is right there begging for attention. He bobs his head at you, follows your finger on the glass, and plays, pushing his head into the gravel and picking up and spraying a bunch of rocks, then wiggling at the glass and looking you in the eye.

He craves interaction. If you walk away from the tank, he will follow you to the edge of the tank and hover there watching you go down the aisle away from him. When you come back around a corner into view, he will wiggle and immediately come to the part of the glass closest to you. He wiggles and his eyes beg you to come interact.

He has the most human-looking eyes--big round eyes with white sclera and green iris. His eyes are sad. He is about a foot and a half long. Way too big for me to take. Too large for a tank. He belongs in a pond.

It makes me sad every time I see him in that tiny tank. He looks so bored and lonely.

Back
Top Bottom