Painted Background!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alyxx said:
I'll try to fix it when I get home from work later. I may have exceeded how many pictures I can post... One more try

There they are. Not sure why it didn't work in the other post. Couldn't even edit them in.

Sorry, but I didn't do any painting tonight. Went to see The Avengers with some people I went to high school with and haven't seen for a long time. However, I did pick up some silicone to make the rock structures I want in the tank.

Looks cool but with all that work cant see the words or the vines could be cause its a pic...nice job

I wanted the words and vines to be kind of hidden, and it came out pretty well. You'll look at it and just see green, then the vines and runes kind of pop out at you. It doesn't photograph so well, at least with the crappy iPad camera. When I find my digital camera I'll take a quality picture.

I think its one of those that you have to see in person.What color sand are you going to use?

Looks cool (y) is it me or does anyone else see a wolf's face in the lower right hand corner just above the blue gravel :whistle:

Grizz said:
Looks cool (y) is it me or does anyone else see a wolf's face in the lower right hand corner just above the blue gravel :whistle:

Yep i can, it looks like its growling lol

Beautiful job on this tank, I can see the dog or wolf face in it that the others see, looks as if it is coming out of a cloud. Don't know if that effect was intentional or not but it is cool looking.

Not intentional, but now I see it too! Neat. I picked up some black diamond blasting sand for it today, which is going to be mixed with the other black sand from the tank it is replacing. I was planning to get it all moved in today, but I ended up helping a friend pack her over abundance of heavy antique wood furniture into a moving truck today, and now I am too tired and sore to do much of anything especially anything involving heavy lifting. That 40 lb bag of sand is not going anywhere tonight, and there's no way I'm moving that much water around. However, tomorrow marks a week of owning the tank itself, so I think I have made pretty good progress with it so far.

Haha, I see both of them, too. Totally not intentional, I just took a sponge and a paper plate with some different shades of paint on it and went to town. Did the whole back in maybe half an hour, just dabbing different mixes of shades around. I like how hidden stuff can pop out of random patterns like that. I had a leopard print shower curtain when I was a kid that I could see so many odd faces and shapes in, and I loved it. I'm sure I'll be finding loads of things in the randomness of the background.

Thanks for all of the compliments! I'm personally very happy with how it came out, and I'm really happy to hear that everyone following along thinks it looks good. I just can't wait to show it off when it is complete with sand, water, rocks, and fish! I picked up 6 juvenile angelfish already, they are in the 20 gallon for now, just waiting for the big tank to be filled.

Just made some polymer clay terraces to add some interest to my sand bed! I'm going to rinse the sand I got yesterday in a little while, but first I'm going to let my hands stop hurting from messing with the clay. The brand I got was pretty firm, and hard to roll out. I should have the tank up and running tonight!

Also, my boyfriend and our roommate both saw the wolf. Also, we discovered the words pop out when something dark is behind them, so I'm adding another layere of paint to make them a little more visible. Kind of amazing that my boyfriend could see the words when a shadow was behind them, too, because he is about as colorblind as a person can be!

View attachment 104505

View attachment 104506

View attachment 104507

More pictures, as requested! I really like how I got it to look with the two lights, I have a natural light bulb and a plant light bulb, each in a different fixture, one behind the other. I can change up the lighting and it makes a cool effect when both are on. Still waiting for it to fully clear up, though. Now I can't wait to get some more fish in there! I have a handful of guppies, three angelfish, some mystery snails, and some ghost shrimp. Going to get some Cories when I find some I like, and maybe a school of something pretty. I'd like to find a small Pleco for the tank, too. Maybe a bristlenose or a pitbull if I can find one.

Update! I ordered some baby angelfish and some baby bristlenose plecos. I'm going to let them age a little, and hopefully pair up, then the others are going to the LFS for store credit. Built a slate structure that is curing now, and the tank has cleared. I'm going to put my new filter on the tank tomorrow hopefully, depending on whether or not I feel like standing up any after work tomorrow. Worked a 9 and a half hour shift today, which is pretty long as a server seeing as we don't really get breaks and spend the whole time on our feet, and I have someone to train tomorrow. But at least I get off work at a decent time, so hopefully I can give my tanks some attention.

View attachment 105876

image-508536468.jpg

image-1109787443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom