Painting back of tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm gonna paint the back of my 55 gal this weekend using plasti dip spray paint. My tank is already inhabited so I'm gonna have to do it during my water change so I can move the tank more accessibly...it's gonna be a little work but I'll post update pictures when I'm done!

Plasti dip is awesome, I never even thought to do it on the back of a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got the idea from watching YouTube videos, and thought it was pretty cool and fairly smart seeing as how it's easily removable!

Yeah if you don't like, it peels right off

I'm mostly worried about moving the tank and not hurting my fish or having them be over stressed, but I think everything will go fine.

Can I ask what color do most people use? Just looking for opinions.

make sure you cover the top of your tank with saran wrap. If it is like other airborne spray particles can get into the water and kill the fish. better safe than sorry.

Please post pics when you are done cant wait to see how it turns out.

make sure you cover the top of your tank with saran wrap. If it is like other airborne spray particles can get into the water and kill the fish. better safe than sorry.

Please post pics when you are done cant wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the tip I'll definitely do that! Better safe than sorry, indeed, hah.

Can I ask what color do most people use? Just looking for opinions.

I used dark forest green and applied just a coupe streaks then I covered the rest of the back with flat black.

the green streaks gives the appearance of depth

Can anyone tell me what brand they've used? Going to Home Depot tomorrow to pick it up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409441197.183998.jpg

This is the stuff I'm using. It's a rubber coating so it's easily peelable! It only comes in black or white as far as I know.

Kay guys, I've got it all finished! It took my five hours but I am so proud of this.

This is a before picture...don't mind my dogs; they like my fish as much as I do :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409448632.866266.jpg

And here's an after! I don't know why I didn't do this sooner!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409448762.136171.jpg

Kudos to Orange Crush for my source of energy ;) ?

It looks great! How much clearance did you have to (comfortably) work with to apply the product? I am thinking about doing the same thing.

Thanks Samm. It's my project for what looks like a rainy Sunday. Water change, fixing the glass one aquarium lid and painting the back.

This looks amazing! What a difference! Did you just move your tank away from the wall and paint it indoors? I'd love to do mine...wonder if the fumes are bad indoors.

Back
Top Bottom