Painting your tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuakenneth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I want to paint my tanks and would like to know what kind of paint I should use and if there are any negative effects on the fish if I paint the tanks. Thanks in advance

Hi. I want to paint my tanks and would like to know what kind of paint I should use and if there are any negative effects on the fish if I paint the tanks. Thanks in advance
YOU paint the outside of the tank so it really doesn't matter what paint you use but if you use one with high VOCs, you'll want to let the tank sit outside after painting so that it airs out so your air pump won't pump the VOCs into the water.
If you want to paint the inside of the tank, Krylon Fusion is one I know of that is fish safe. There are others that we used in our warehouses but the name escapes me atm. I will ask a coworker and get back to you with the name but I do know it was a very expensive paint because it was non toxic and waterproof. There are also acrylic and Latex paints now that are waterproof but you will need to confirm which ones are fish safe. (y)

UPDATE: The paint I was thinking of was a concrete sealer and not recommended for glass so " never mind. " ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom