Panda Cory Mortality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah i bought 4 pandas and all 4 died of popeye. i got the moneyback for the 3 but the 4th by the time i found it it was mostly bones and cartilage. horrible *shudders* and when i went back to get more i guess they all died of popeye 2

Err I wish I saw this thread earlier I hope my pandas are gonna live for a while they cost me alot... Only one died and that was the day after I got him. The fish I can't seem to keep are ottos, I plan on trying more though incase it was just a bad bunch.

I got 7 panda cubs and 5 died in the first two weeks. I have the remaining two in a slightly brackish tank with some mollies. They seem to be doing well. They like to hide and come out to play a various times thought the day. The last two are good buddies and I rarely see them alone unless they are hiding. Really cute fish, but hard to keep. I've also had a fair bit of trouble with my Schwartz's Corries. I have a small school of four right now, but had to go through 10 corries to get that school. They seem to have a very hard time adjusting. My LFS manager tells me that almost all his Schwartz's Corries die within a month.

Truly intended to start a thread entitled 'PANDA CAT VITALITY' any day now. After the two pandas died so quickly after I got them at the end of May, of course I was waiting for the remaining two to croak. But they lived! They lived and stopped looking anemic and their black patches were deep healthy black and they were active and...and...

I found one dead this morning. Gee, so sad that I only write when something bad happens.

But the one remaining, there'll be no stopping her! Gonna be runnin' the tank, giving every aquaone whatfor!

Damn, that must be one lonely pandacat.

Will get more. Am heartened by this little successful run they had...

I started changing a greater percentage of water (half of the 20 gal tank) more often...I thought this was having a great effect...everyone seemed happier and the pandas lived. And one still does.

All veddy intereztink

Sorry to hear that you lost another one. I never recommend 50% water changes. Aim for 25% once every week--keep up that schedule and I believe all will be fine (compared to "(half of the 20 gal tank) more often..")

Panda Corys

Hi, - I have had a colony of 20 Pandas in a 10 gallon tank for about a year and haven't lost one. I have found them to be extremely hardy and non-demanding. They have tolerated Ph ranging from 6.5 to 7.5 with no visible preference. Truth be told, I haven't found a persnickety Cory, yet! I even keep my barbatus at 78 - when no one I know keeps them at temps above 72. Additionally, they have spawned at that temp. Pandas are generally regarded as a "problem-free" Cory.

NOTE: PLEASE - DO NOT lecture me on the 1" per gallon myth that seems to permeate most forums. I can successfully keep 50 -60 adult guppies in a 10 gallon tank with NO problem whatsoever, and do it regularly. Granted I do not house my fish this way for extended periods, but I do have one tank w/50-60 adults in a 10 gallon tank for over a month - as an experiment. They are thriving. I do a 50% water change daily AND I siphon all feces from the bottom every single day. The fish are happy, healthy, vibrant and breeding. There are 5 large Corys in the tank, also.

The 1" per gallon rule was relevant in the 1950's. It's 2004. It no longer applies. As always YMMV - but mine never does! I have attached an image. To see it at full size - if you REALLY want to count the g*ppies - go to: http://www.guppymanguppies.com/planetcatfish/60_g*ppies.jpg

Frank/Guppyman

P.S. Please accept this post in the spirit with which it was posted. I am not trying to be disagreeable, but I just can't agree that Pandas are a "problem" cat. I would hate to think that someone may be dissuaded from buying a beautiful specimen out of fear that they will easily lose it. I love my Pandas. They are a "personality-plus" Cory! Try 'em - you'll like 'em!

Probabily is the batch of the corry that causes these problem. Same issue happen to neon and cardinal as well, where some said neon is pain in the axx to kept, some said neon is quit hardy....

What temp do you keep your panda's at Guppy man? lots of hiding spaces or just out and about in the tank? Is it species or mixed with guppies?

I am sure we could narrow this down a bit for julicat and I. I am zero-eight with these guys.

I have 2 very happy delpax and 2 very happy bronze. But I don't want to harm anymore of the super cool pandas.. :)

Panda Corys

Hi. The centralized system (60 - 10 G. tanks) generally runs at about 78. The individual tanks, depending on the outside temp - run between 72 and 78.

The Pandas are currently at 78. Bare bottom tank w/ two corner filters and an additional airstone. The only hiding spaces are the 1" clearance under the box filters. They rarely seem interested in hiding. Upon closer examination, I discovered that there are 3 or 4 C. trilineatus in the bunch. Wonder how they got there, as I try never to mix my Corys to prevent interspecies spawning. There are also 3 adult male guppies in the tank.

They get flake food at 8 AM, frozen bloodworms at noon, algae, spirulina or regular food sinking pellets at 5 PM and live blackworms before lights out at 9 PM. They will eat anything at anytime.

Seriously, if you are having trouble keeping Pandas alive - it has to be that they just weren't that healthy when you got them. Additionally, many people think that you don't have to go out of your way to give them a healthy, varied diet. Not true. I used to think that because I fed my g*ppies 6 to 8 times per day, that the Corys were getting lots of food. I have changed my mind about this. Although live blackworms are generally used to condition Corys in preparation for spawning, as a general rule they should get them at least once a week to maintain optimum health and growth. Finely chopped eartworms are good also, but in smaller quantities as they contain a fair amount of fat.

Be kind to your Pandas and they will give you years of trouble-free enjoyment. I'ze garonteeeeze it! - Frank/Guppyman

I am glad you jumped in on this thread guppy man... Did you get them originally as 1"+ specimens? All the ones I've had were very very juvinile. Of the people that have posted on this thread would you consider your cories Juvinile?

I sure hope I wasn't starving mine.. I am always concerned about over feeding my fish in general. I do make sure there are algea tabs in tanks for my cories to eat.

Panda Corys

Howdy webmoose. I would say they were about 1 inch upon arrival. In my experience they are not fast growers, nor do they get very large. Algae wafers are great, but sinking pellets or wafers of regular food should be incorporated into their diet. They are NOT strictly vegetarian or algae eaters, specifically. They love a nice hunk 'o meat. - Frank/Guppyman

Well someday I will likely try them again.. someday... I wish I lived near you so I knew I was getting some happy health specimens.. :)

Thanks for the links.. Unfortunately I am a Canadian Mooose.. :) Really nice adolf cory pic on one of those sites.. :)

Since adopting 4 panda corydoras in late April, only one of those four still lives to move the tail; today; 7/12/04, my tank is now home to 5 more...as soon as they get out of the bag. I REFUSE to buy four. Seems that number of panda cories is bad luck.

Wish I could tag or dye-mark the original P.C.

We shall see, we shall see.

Well I reread this entire thread and I see a few things stand out:
- Make sure you have a large group of these guys. We all know panda's are schooling fish and they like to be in larger sets. I am sure that some do better in smaller groups and I suspect cories are not one of them.
- Make sure you feed them something of greater substance than say just algea wafers. I've always only feed cories algea wafers and blood worms. If I ever try panda's again I will attempt a more robust diet and ensure that I feed at night so that I know that they aren't getting out competted for food.

Best of luck Julicat make sure you run out and get your new guys some good snacks if you can!! :)

webmoose said:
The only thing I could figure was that they were not enjoying my spunky pleco that kept jumping on them and water changes. I was to the point that I was adding my new water with a tube so that it would be added slowly.

Are they sensitive to water changes? I have 3 right now in my 5G Platy fry tank, which gets daily water changes, with the water just dumped in. They seem to be doing ok after 4 months.

I originally started out with 3 in my main tank, and they all lost their barbels, I'm guessing because of dirty substrate. One of them was ganged up on and terrorized by my Tiger Barbs, so I moved all of them to the nursery tank, but the one that was being terrorized, I lost soon after. His replacement went straight to the fry tank. The barbels on the previous surviving 2 are growing back now, and they seem to be doing ok.

Since they live in the fry tank, they get fed often (3-5 times a day), and the varied foods that the fry get (frozen baby Brine Shrimp, TetraMin Baby flakes, crushed Spirulina flakes, crushed TetraMin Pro, and algae pellets).

Corys in general don't seem to do very well in my main tank. I've had Peppered, Albino, and Panda, and they all lose their barbels soon after introduction to the main tank. So, for the time being, they are all being kept in my fry tanks until their barbels grow back. The main tank is a bit overstocked, but all water parameters are normal, and the water gets changed twice a week. I just got a larger tank today, so let's see if that solves the problem.

The batch of panda's I had acted strange after a water change (not breeding strange like if you introduce cooler water) I do small water changes often now where as I use to do large water changes less often.

I wonder if your barbel issue has anything to do with the size your substrate? Is it larger rocks? If it was because of dirty substrate you should be able to do extra gravel vacs to accomodate your cories...

Back
Top Bottom