panda corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aoessand

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i just finished swapping out my gravel substrate to pfs and boy its like someone flipped a switch they are swimming up and down the sides of the glass, scurrying around the bottom, and for once i know 100% that they ate their shrim p pellets lol prolly first time they could really get to them without having to fight gravel. I only have 4 left I'm thinking now i need some more lol they are pretty cute when you can actually see them without spending 5+ minutes to find them rofl. I was wondering if i could get a different type to school with the pandas or will only one type school together? Here's a picture ofthe little rascals.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120525_051706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120525_051706.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
Here's a few better ones

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120525_053217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120525_053217.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120525_053227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120525_053227.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20120525_053236.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120525_053236.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 95
Corydoras Question

So i just finished swapping out my gravel substrate to pfs and boy its like someone flipped a switch they are swimming up and down the sides of the glass, scurrying around the bottom, and for once i know 100% that they ate their shrim p pellets lol prolly first time they could really get to them without having to fight gravel. I only have 4 left I'm thinking now i need some more lol they are pretty cute when you can actually see them without spending 5+ minutes to find them rofl. I was wondering if i could get a different type to school with the pandas or will only one type school together? Here's a picture ofthe little rascals.

Hello a...

You sure can. I keep a lot of different species of Corys in my tanks, have for a long time. One tank has four different kinds in it. My Corys are all peaceful and get along well. I stock one per every five gallons of tank volume.

Some believe that Corydoras are schooling fish, but they're not. They're "shoaling" fish. Schooling fish stay in a group for protection and all move in the same direction at the same time. Watch a school of Tetras sometime. Those are schooling fish.

Corys are shoaling fish. They may sometimes stay and forage in roughly a group, but their movements are strictly individual. That's the difference.

B

I prefer larger groups of single species. Mixed groups may or may not hang out together. I'm glad you switched to sand !

What temp is your tank ? Many people lose Pandas as they like water a bit cooler than most Corys.

Adorable fish though :)

If you have room I'd double your "shoal".
Then if you have room get another set of Corys.

Planet Catfish has a huge amount of Cory info.

Ya i lost 2 to either bad stock or high temps when i first got them i had my water at 80 I've since lowered it to 75-77 and everyone seems to like it more. I'm really liking the pfs as well and i know the panadas love it and I'm pretty sure my long fin bristle nose pleco loves it as well because I've already seen him digging under the driftwood lol.

I really like the sterbia corys i doubt i spelled that right, the silver with black spots cory but not sure if i have room for 6 more corys. I've also noticed that 2-3 of the pandas stay together and 1 its either alone or with the neon tetras lol so I'm thinking I'll add at least 2 more pandas and think about getting a different type. I also need to decide if i want bosemani rainbows or something else i really would like some larger fish because atm i have 9 neon tetras, 8 balloon red eye tetras, 2 Mickey mouse platys m/f (female going to bust any day now, not sure what i will do with the fry) 1long fin bristle nose pleco, 4 soon to be 6 panda corys, in my 50 gallon planted tank. I know i can't have much more but i need some color! Lol Any suggestions if i need multiples of said fish i need to keep cost down to around 10 per (main reason i haven't got the rainbows yet because they are 15-20 each,however a single "center piece" fish I'm willing to spend around 40 on. Water parameters are solid at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5-20 nitrates 8.2 ph.

Loxozonous will accept pandas and vice versa from what I've discovered :) I had 5 pandas and they slowly died on me, I got them from a store I no longer shop at. To try and save my final one, I switched to play sand and he has come back to life fortunately enough. I can't find pandas anywhere around me, so I grabbed some loxozonous from my favorite LFS (super high quality stock) and they accept the panda into their group, they even feed together!

Just look for cories with similar colors and patterns

I added 2 more returning the school to 6 the new ones are already grouped up.

Back
Top Bottom