Panda Garras and Sparkling Gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today was my boyfriend's and my one year anniversary, so we spent it going around to fish shops and getting ready for the reptiles I'm getting tomorrow at Repticon. And, he bought me two panda garras, some gorgeous horned nerites, and a microscopic sparkling gourami.

So... here are some pictures of the panda garra:

2dc7f2r.jpg

5v5g1j.jpg

I have never had any of these before, so I am pretty excited. Especially for the sparkling gourami, since I'm pretty obsessed with all anabantoids. I'll get a picture of the snails and the baby spark tomorrow.

I was just fascinated by the garra today. They were so active once they got into my 55g. They immediately colored back to dark stripes from the pale and even started munching on the glass algae. I have read that they aren't the best at algae eating, but they have been just at it constantly. It was just so weird to see a fish adapt to the tank in a few seconds. I'm going to look into getting a powerhead or something for more water flow, but I'm thinking of just sticking to what I've got for now. And once my plants fill back out along with all the driftwood, they will have more than enough choices of hiding places.

Funny thing about the sparkling gourami, he was in with the guppies/endlers to be used as feeders and I saw him in a corner by himself. I noticed he was a weird looking guppy fry. And it clicked he was some baby gourami or something. Lucky for me, I spotted him before he became some African cichlid's food and I got him for two dollars. They were pretty surprised that he was in with the guppies and I was pretty proud of myself for finding him. He will now have a very happy home with me.

Oh, I guess I forgot to add where I put them. The garras went into my 55g, to make it more Asian. The sparkling gourami, I actually bought a new 2.5g that I will be planting up for him to feel comfortable. And the nerites went into my Chi with my sunshine plakat that will not leave them alone, so they are getting moved somewhere else tomorrow. Probably in with my veil tail betta.

Wow! Great story about the Gourami! Your Garas are beautiful. Another new fish for me! I love this forum! I am always discovering new fish species through everyone's posts! So much fun! Enjoy your new babies! And happy aniversary!

Aw, thanks!

I am loving them so far. They came up and ate with everyone else this morning and have been scrubbing everything down in the tank. Both have good bellies on them, so I will supplement with frozen bloodworms on a weekly basis. But, it will be hard with the rainbows and danios being fattys. They do not need anymore weight on them. I might just send them to Weight Watchers!

Thank you!

I actually can't get a picture of the sparkling gourami. He is literally so small and still rather transparent that he won't show up on my phone camera. I think I have successfully gotten the smallest fish EVER.

Those were awesome finds! I am not familiar with the panda garras, but they certainly look awesome!
Congrats on the sparkler! Awesome to find him for so cheap!

Thank you. Everyone is doing great. Never got a powerhead for them, but the pandas are doing awesome. They eat flakes/pellets with the other fish, go after the algae wafers, and munch of the glass algae. Garras are beyond active, so they fit in just perfectly with everyone else. What I read online describes a completetly different fish, IMO.

Grats! Good to see other folks caring for PGs. :D

Some recommendations for you as someone who's kept a Panda Garra for the past 6 months:

* I'd steer away from investing in a powerhead - because when Garras find a strong current - they become little daredevils. My Garra has actually swam INTO the output of my Fluval 206 canister filter on several occasions, and then comes flying out of it like a little bullet. Would be disastrous if there were spinning blades involved.

* Panda Garras will eat just about anything - but once they get used to you - their favorite snack might be your hand! Every time I go in to do some work on the tank - he'll zoom over to my hand and start nibbling on my fingers. Doesn't hurt, just feels like a tiny manicure.

* Also, be careful if you use a siphon or a Python. If you plan on leaving the siphon unattended I HIGHLY recommend you rubberband a napkin or paper towel over the end of it. The Panda Garras WILL find it, and they WILL swim up it like they're making a jailbreak.

Haha. Thanks for the advice!

I can completely see them being daredevils. My two are so active and curious, I could see them trying to make a "jail break".

I just read they are very specific fish and people kind of made it seem like they were going to die if they don't have a strong current. When I was reading it, almost made me not buy them. Anyway, these guys are way more interesting than threads and articles make them sound!

So, how many do you have?

And cute avatar picture<3

Just the one. I had gotten two originally but the other one didn't make it much past acclimation. I hadn't seen since I got home that he was fairly emaciated and didn't look all that well or I would've asked for another.

When I had gotten mine they were just juveniles and only about an inch long. My little fella is now about 2 inches long and is much more shapely.

Otherwise he seems to just fine with the amount of current in the tank, and like you can see in the picture - his favorite thing to do is just perch on the tops of leaves and soak in the light. (My java fern also has these really long leaves that he'll use like a hammock).

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Mine are about two inches. I bought them with little bellies and I think they have just gotten more chunky.

Actually, the shop I got them from is doing a switch over from the big distributors to local breeders and these were from a breeder.

So, he's doing fine all on his own? I was thinking about getting more since mine are inseparable and constantly interacting. Thought maybe more would make them even happier.

Yea, he seems to be fine. About the worst thing he does, is if he sees my Julii Cories hanging out in a clump - he'll jump into them like a kid jumping into leaves, sending cories scooting everywhere. :p

haha. That's cute. I have seen a little bit of aggression toward my two SAEs whenever they start sucking on one of the plants. They come up and kick them off. I guess similar to what you just described. So, normal garra behavior?

Pretty much. From what I've seen of youtube videos, PGs (especially males) will "wrestle" for dominance - but since they really cant hurt anyone with their mouths, all they do is turn very pale and slap each other around with their tails.

They may also boss-off other ground dwellers during feeding, because they're very active scavengers. Mine will stick his head so far down the substrate that all you see is his butt wiggling straight up.

Wow. Well, my SAEs are completely off of cleaning up algae and such. They got spoiled on prepared foods. So, they will be alright.

Ugh, I just found the spark dead...

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Oh... I am jealous. I spent ten on each of mine. And that was a deal from fifteen.

Anyway you still have a panda garra garra! My fs has usu have them for 5.99
But I never got one. Congrats on the buy though. They look nice too

Back
Top Bottom