Parasite identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThievingSix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!,

I believe i may have a parasite problem, but i don't know if i'm right. I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some insight into what these things may be.

I took some pictures of white stringy poo that appeared in my tank, under a microscope and found some "stuff" floating around inside. One of my fish in particular has been off his food for weeks, and now i believe the white poo may be his. How should i treat it?, he doesn't have any other symptoms, there's no lesions or fungal growths on him.

Unfortunately I live in Australia so getting medications is hard. I have access to praziquantel and could possibly obtain some metronidazole but would prefer not to. Antibiotics for bacteria are even harder to obtain, but i've got a stock of maracyn for emergency purposes that i'd rather not use if i didnt have to. I want to be at least 90% sure that it's worth using because it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to come buy meds here.

https://youtu.be/JYk-UPOqa7Q

Untitled.png

I don't think there are many micro biologist in the forum, but I admire your investigative skills.
White stringy poop can simply be a symptom of constipation or like you believe a bacterial infection. Don't know what type of fish you keep, but if they are African cichlids, it might be Malawi bloat. Africans need to eat a more veggie based food. Too much meat based food and their digestive systems lock up. From what I gather the general consensus of AA members is to combat diseases with impeccable water conditions and nutrition. Others rely on medicated foods and salt. Don't know Australian availability of medicated fish food. At least that won't damage your filter BB if you go that route. Hope things balance out for you.

I have access to a levamisole/praziquantel mix.

I apologise for the poor quality pictures, i've only got a microscope from when i was 5 and used an iphone camera to film it!.

xcapillaria-egg-bird-feces.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xd70y17hTh.jpg

It looks very similar to capillaria, but lacks the outer "capsule" like appearance. Perhaps my microscope just couldn't zoom enough to see it.

I looked at roundworms, and it appears more like the eggs than the worm itself. Are eggs able to move on their own?

I wouldnt know im no expert or vet, i just de-worm them and see if they get better. Keep looking at pictures on google
What type of microscope do you have?
Theres alot of those little things huh!
No need to apoligize, it ovbously got the job done, im looking to get a cheap one myself, i think even like 30X zoom would be as much as you need for most stool parasites.

30 X zoom i meant that to say. Not sure why Yoda showed up but i guess i kind of am like him lol

HMMM, A MICROSCOPE A SMART MAN, DE-WORM THEM YOU MUST HMM

Back
Top Bottom