Parasite Medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
What medicine would be recommended for internal parasites?
My Dwarf Gourami looks bloated, he has stringy poo and is very lethargic. He spends almost all his time up hiding behind a heater facing straight up. I will probably QT him and do a 50% on the tank as soon as possible.
I am fairly certain it is a parasite and I just need to know what meds to grab.
Also does it sound like my plan is good?

If the fish is eating medicated flakes are the best answer if not then it becomes more difficult. I start with a small dropper/pipette and force feed distilled water and a 3-5% Epsom salt solution directly into the gut, this is performed daily for 5-7 days until the fish starts to eat then its on medicated flakes or Epsom salt soaked foods for another 7-10 days.

Medicated Flake Food for Fish

The other option is to try and treat the water coloum, this will be with Mertozoidale and Praziquental. API's General Cure contains both but it's a little pricy if treating a large tank. Tetras Parasite Guard contains them as well for half the price. For advanced cases for water treatment I use Clout by Mardel, it's like nuking a cockroach but has never let me down.

I would also add Epsom salt dosed at 1.5 tablespoons to 5 gallons of water with either treatment, as this will help reduce some digestive pressure.

Last edited:
i just use parasite guard, had to do 2 treatments (over 72 hours with water change) and so far, all signs of internal parasites have gone away. just ordered new life spectrum thera a fish food (loaded with garlic that will kill parasites) to help prevent any parasites from coming back

Back
Top Bottom