parasites? (cross post from planted tanks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docbree

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon mature tank with an albino bristlenose pleco, cories and guppies. Two weeks ago I purchased a tube of 3 "parasite and pest-free" aquatic plants from PetCo. I noticed the water was getting cloudy, and saw some strange, circular missing areas in the light algae film on one of the decorations (not like what I'm used to seeing from the pleco).

On closer inspection, the tank is infested with almost microscopic white "bugs" that are present in the thousands on every horizontal surface in the tank. They move slowly in an almost circular pattern, and some just stay still. It appears they can swim - there are several dozen doing that very quickly. Unfortunately, the fish do not seem interested in eating them.

What are these things? Are they harmful? How can I get rid of them. Never buying plants again

Please help

They are too small to photograph, I think. About the size of a grain of salt. They look dark on light surfaces and white on dark surfaces and while swimming. They are covering everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, I have no idea how to get rid of them.

But, I am with you, I bought some "parasite and pest-free" plants before and they turned out to be infected with hydras. It was a nightmare getting rid of them. I had to throw everything out and start with fresh everything.

Here's the best pic I could get ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405571542.177551.jpg

If they were parasitic you would likely see them on the fish themselves, I would hazard a guess that they are just some bugs in the aquarium. We won't be able to ID them for you without a clear picture but quite often a google search can give you the answer.

On a side note, another fish would probably take care of them for you. Maybe a dwarf gourami. Most aquarium bugs make delicious fish snacks.

Thanks for feeling my pain, Pamian :).
And thanks for the link, Mebbid - after looking at it I'm thinking maybe seed shrimp?

Would a dwarf gourami work well with my other fish?

Thanks for feeling my pain, Pamian :).
And thanks for the link, Mebbid - after looking at it I'm thinking maybe seed shrimp?

Looks like seed shrimp to me. I have them in my planted tank and shrimp only tank. Fish eat them.

What I am concerned with is the cloudy water and how numerous the critters are....they have to be upsetting the tank parameters.

Just a story from my mother-inlaw. She had goldfish and her tank became infected with some parasite, I can't remember what. She bought something which killed the parasites, then the next day all her gold fish were dead, some of which she had for years.

We guessed the sudden death of parasites probably released toxins because there were so many to die all at once.

Just a cautionary note.

Thank you all for your feedback! I will try to catch some and take a photo under a microscope later thus week

Microscopic photos! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405694531.695124.jpg
1). 400x magnification

2). Squashed under coverslip - can see legs/ clawsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405694634.312258.jpg

3). 100x magnification ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405694681.728525.jpg

4) egg? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405694706.524882.jpg

Note: I am not completely sure the squashed one is the same organism as the others as I did not view it before putting on the coverslip. Thanks!

I am impressed you have a microscope that takes photos, wow way to go...but I still have no idea what they are.

Back
Top Bottom