Partial water change - Fluval Canister 306

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all - Just got a canister and read through all the instructions on how to do maintenance. (Eg. close aqua stop valve, unplug, then lift locking lever), but what about just a partial water change that doesn't involve maintenance.

Do you just unplug it or do you have to close the aqua stop valve? I just did a PWC by unplug the unit and it was not happy when I plugged it in again it starting buzzing and didn't flow. So I pumped the primer, and that seemed to work, but I don't want to do that again.

I must have done something wrong and I don't want to wreck my unit.

Much appreciated!

So what is probably happening is the siphon is being broken when the water level drops below the intake or outtake tubes. Try to lower them during the water change to keep them below the water level.

Before you do this, I would do it the way you would when performing maintenance on the filter.

EDIT: You only have to lower the intake to prevent the siphon from being broken.

Hmmmm - that must not be the problem, as my intake was below water the whole time; it was just a 25% water change.

So, next time around, if I'm doing just a water change, I'd lift the aqua stop, then unplug. Would I think need to actually disconnect the hose?

Hmmmm - that must not be the problem, as my intake was below water the whole time; it was just a 25% water change.

So, next time around, if I'm doing just a water change, I'd lift the aqua stop, then unplug. Would I think need to actually disconnect the hose?

That's what the prime is there for. You can either. Not switch it off during partial water changes (that is up to you) or switch it off and prime.

You always get a small grate when restarting the fluvals. It's something to do with the impeller. Not the best design in that respect but I very good filter on the whole. Make sure you have a new oring to hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can always just flip up the white lever when you unplug. Just be sure to flip it down again when you plug it back in. You don't have to unlock the aqua stop (red lever) unless you are opening it.

I always unplug mine during PWCs, but I don't bother with even the white lever unless I'm cleaning the filter. Mine starts right up silently as long as water covers the intake and the output, which surprises me because my filter sits on the floor and my hose run is just below the height limit.

Mine has been running, no problem, for two years with nothing but routine cleaning. Mine basically refills and pretty much self-primes as soon as I lower the white lever. I only need to push the primer 2 or 3 times to prevent noise and bubbling.

As already said, priming it is no big deal. That's why it has a primer.

I have had one of these also. The other people are right. What you are hearing is the pump trying to pump but there is too much air inside. Turn it off, and use the prime feature to get a siphon going. You should hear the water rushing into the canister filter. When that stops, turn canister filter back on. Air will bubble out briefly. You can help by tipping the canister in different directions to get all the air out. Then it will be silent again. When it is making the loud noise it is probably not pumping and if you keep doing it for a long time it may burn out the motor.

From your OP, it sounded like you didn't want to have to prime the pump every time you do a water change. If this is the case, leave it running like Caliban suggested.

When you do the water change all you have to do is lift the upper white lever and then unplug. When you are done with the water change, lower the white lever and replug. If you want to reduce the flow just raise the white lever a little bit, but not more than halfway. These filters can be a little daunting at first, but once you get used to them they are really good. I agree that the instructions that come with the filter are not very helpful.

Thank you so much for the help! I am intimidated by the new canister - afraid I will break it and flood my living room!!

I will lift the white lever and unplug during PWC.

Back
Top Bottom