Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nO3J7qH.jpg

ThO3atc.jpg

8VzLySm.jpg

IV3JQqH.jpg

ZtmB1kg.jpg

dX36hF1.jpg

Hope the bonsai comes around man! Otherwise that psammacora is really nice looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My 35 had a pretty deep bed and I remember having so much visable life in it. It was probably 4-5".

About 2-3". I originally wanted a deep sandbed. Ive seem them 4'+. Once i add this new bag i will have 50lbs of sand in my tank.

My 35 had a pretty deep bed and I remember having so much visable life in it. It was probably 4-5".

The comments being that the deeper part gave a better separation for the anerobic nitrate conversion, without disturbing the upper 4-5" where the critters move and rocks are lodged in, so if you bump it, it doesn't gas the tank.

More of a relating from the 30 year "expert". I'm still learning, lol. Not an argument for or against or how deep for the DSB, so much as an interesting part about the plenum working similarly but differently. Julian Sprung's name came up, he was at MACNA 2014 (probably 2015 too but I wasn't there :( )

If you're adding 50 pounds how many inches will that make?

I meant 50 lbs total. I only added 15 lbs. It raised it an inch or so because the rock displace alot of area. Would need a big tank for a 10" sandbed! ?

Ahhh - thanks for the clarification, that makes sense.

50 lbs would have got it alot closer to that 10" mark! The plenum system is pretty neat in the article though, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Separated the green monti cap rock from the main rock work a little more. Basically tweeked the far right side the tank. I also reinstalled the smartwave controller for the powerheads.

GUVhtFp.jpg

TftZQPv.jpg

Took these tonight. My gel sheet is getting hazy from micro scratches, which really messes with my camera. Need to order me some.

kPD6UdL.jpg

KVpzkTO.jpg

ab2EKsJ.jpg

tPUhbnf.jpg

d5lFkbK.jpg

Thanks! I picked up some really colorful zoas yesterday. I'll get some photos up tomorrow.

What is the average growth rate of zoa's? A head or two per month? My bam bam zoa seems tl have added a few heads and my orange zoa has 3 new heads since adding it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the average growth rate of zoa's? A head or two per month? My bam bam zoa seems tl have added a few heads and my orange zoa has 3 new heads since adding it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are all different, its really hard to say.

Beautiful addition to your zoa garden. Is that a dragons eye?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! Nope, not dragon's eye. I have a big patch of that. These are alot nicer. The skirt is almost yellow on these and some centers are red, orange, and yellowish.

Back
Top Bottom