Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actinic photo dump taken tonight.
IZyeV1r.jpg

GvKryS4.jpg

SYETLIn.jpg

t4PNH2S.jpg

HvecLK8.jpg

5Ml09RW.jpg

OCKfV8D.jpg

Didn't see my Potter's angel all day yesterday, and still no sign of him today. He's usually always out. I fear something may have happened.

Didn't see my Potter's angel all day yesterday, and still no sign of him today. He's usually always out. I fear something may have happened.

The same thing happened to my wrasse. Didnt see her all day and then saw her laying in the back of the tank.

Hope you find the Potter's angel and he is ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Still no sign. This didn't even happen with this fish when first added. I'm considering it a loss. The root if it, I don't know. Could have jumped ship when I was programming the lights as I had the top off. With 2 dogs and a very curious cat running around I'm sure it would have got picked up soon if that's the case. Just 2 fish left now. Wrasse and dottyback, both are in fantastic health.

Downloaded this free aquarium app yesterday called "Aquarium Note" and I'm really liking it so far. It has calculators, notes, parameters and what not that's very simple to use. Easy way to remember your last water changes, parameters, when you got a fish, etc. I find it handy and thought I'd share. It's at the Google Play Store.
https://reefbuilders.com/2015/04/27/aquarium-note-android-free-log-app/

Thank for that info. I've been looking for a good aquarium app but have'nt found any that I liked for Android phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up picking up a very nice looking Midas blenny the other day. He is bigger than the one I traded off. He is also still in the very shy stage and hides every time I enter the room. Here is a very short clip of him during feeding that I was able to get on my phone.

https://youtu.be/kHM4_zppyxU

Here is the horrible quality phone photo I took of him during acclimation showing his stress colors.
L5pbxlR.jpg

Well I'm at a loss, came home to find the Midas blenny dead lying in the sand. Not having any luck with new fish...

That is strange, everything looks so healthy in your tank. Do you drip acclimate them? Check that they eat at the LFS? What fish/inverts do you have in there now? Anything that's super aggressive to new fish?

I have been reading about hypo salinity for treatment of ich and it sounds like some may even recommended it for a QT period because it reduces their energy expenditure so they are able to eat more and "bulk up" before going into the tank. I've never QTd before but now that I have an "extra tank" I think I might for the new additions to the new tank. I know its probably a good practice but I'm impatient so we'll see if I keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is strange, everything looks so healthy in your tank. Do you drip acclimate them? Check that they eat at the LFS? What fish/inverts do you have in there now? Anything that's super aggressive to new fish?

I have been reading about hypo salinity for treatment of ich and it sounds like some may even recommended it for a QT period because it reduces their energy expenditure so they are able to eat more and "bulk up" before going into the tank. I've never QTd before but now that I have an "extra tank" I think I might for the new additions to the new tank. I know its probably a good practice but I'm impatient so we'll see if I keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I do, but I don't quarantine. There was absolutely no ich present that I seen. I just have the melenurus wrasse and orchid dottyback. Neither have been aggressive. I do have an emerald crab. Besides that plenty of snails and small scarlet hermits. Maybe there is something I'm not testing for that is causing issues, but the other fish and inverts are doing great. I'm gonna do some more test and research to try and figure out what could be happening. I'm leaning towards the source. We will see. The blenny did seem a little skinny, but I saw him eat a little when I fed the tank.

The source would be my question. You have kept fish well before and maybe these just aren't well when you get them. Are all of these that have been dying from the same source?

Back
Top Bottom