Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So here is what I picked up yesterday. First thing I got was a Rock Flower anemone. I've been thinking of getting one for a while now and my guy had this one for $10 so I figured might as well see how it works out. Its not one of the real fancy ones but its nice for the price. I still think I may get a red or pink color variation one to put next to it by this bare rock I have in the sand bed. Maybe sort of a small 'Nem Garden'? The second thing I picked up was a super sweet Ice Fire Echinata that I've been eyeballing since he got it in. Still haven't seen any polyp extension since acclimating and putting it in yesterday, but man this is a really nice piece and I hope it does well! Here are some photos. :)

Rock Flower Anemone
pfENKyn.jpg

Ice Fire Echinata
L03iSLm.jpg

(blurry top shot due to dirty coral viewer)
sfR5WrB.jpg

The tank is looking fantastic after a PWC today. The rock flower is looking comfy, the ice fire still has no noticeable polyp extension. This guy got him a new shell today. I having the slightest clue what kind of shell it I but the spirals are very squared. Pretty cool looking. He is the first taker of it. :)

Lu6809C.jpg

I am glad all is looking good after the PWC! That is a cool shell, I really like the contrast between the bright red crab and the color of the shell. Is that a Red Leg?

I am glad all is looking good after the PWC! That is a cool shell, I really like the contrast between the bright red crab and the color of the shell. Is that a Red Leg?

Thank you. No, its a Scarlet Reef Hermit. They are the only ones I have/trust besides the new Halloween, and I keep an eye on him. You can tell by the yellow/green eyes and bright red body.

Thank you. No, its a Scarlet Reef Hermit. They are the only ones I have/trust besides the new Halloween, and I keep an eye on him. You can tell by the yellow/green eyes and bright red body.

Thanks for the info, the color is stunning!

Picked up a really nice looking Acropora Sarmentosa frag today. I'll get a photo up soon. :)

I'm super happy right now! The wife wanted to swing by Petco and I noticed they FINALLY got in 2 Orchid Dottybacks. I've been calling up there for a couple weeks now with no luck on them. Now I'm on the way home with an Orchid in the bag! :)

Nice pickups! Can't wait to see he acro!! The orchids are the all purple right?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice pickups! Can't wait to see he acro!! The orchids are the all purple right?

Thanks! My Acro collection is slowly growing. ;) And yes the Orchid are a vibrant purple/violet with a black steak through their eyes and mouth. I used to have one that mysteriously disappeared. It was my favorite fish. My buddy that I buy from can order them but they are $100! LiveAquaria is the same price plus S&H. My local Petco usually carries different Dottybacks but in occasion they get in a couple of the real Orchids for around $30. Super great deal! And the one I picked out looks very good. :)
I'm working on getting some photos now.

Here they are on LA-
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orchid Dottyback

Awesome man! That's a sharp looking fish. As ft as acros go I think you need a nice piece of ORA red planet next :D

Awesome man! That's a sharp looking fish. As ft as acros go I think you need a nice piece of ORA red planet next :D

That is exactly what I am wanting next! You read my mind. I need to be selective, I'm running out of real estate! Gotta wait for my wife to get done on the CPU and I have sone photos to share. :D

Ok here are some photos of the new additions. The Orchid Dottyback came out to eat 5-10 minutes after being released into the DT. He is either adjusting very well, or very hungry. This one is a lot brighter than my last one too! I took some more photos as well. I'll post them up tomorrow.

Orchid Dottyback
68HS2Oq.jpg

AQ2Wron.jpg

(released into DT)
lDh6ox1.jpg

Acropora Sarmentosa
o4iYFl0.jpg

W9CraI1.jpg

The new additions look very nice Paul. I've been looking for the strawberry dottyback for a while now. I really like the purple one to. The colors are so vibrant. The acros i recently picked up haven't shown any polyp extension either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow can't wait to see what that sarmentosa looks like grown out! Nice dottyback too :)

The new additions look very nice Paul. I've been looking for the strawberry dottyback for a while now. I really like the purple one to. The colors are so vibrant. The acros i recently picked up haven't shown any polyp extension either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
The Strawberrys aren't as hard to find usually. My LFS usually has them in stock. I think Andrew (BAM) can get them for about $15 each. He currently has sunrise and neon dottybacks in stock too. But they charge him $100 for an Orchid.

Wow can't wait to see what that sarmentosa looks like grown out! Nice dottyback too :)

Me too, thanks! Everything looks good except for that Ice Fire Enchinata that I got a while back. I have yet to see ANY polyp extension on it since Ive got it. I did move it down just a hair yesterday when I mounted the A. Sarmentosa. That is priciest acro, and I really want to see it do well!

Your A. echinata is probably A. turaki and they barely show any PE. My Hawkins Echinata only shows polyp extension at night.

Here are the other photos I took yesterday.

FTS during feeding
TeCyV88.jpg

Rock Flower
qXBlHC4.jpg

This was sold to me as a Stawberry Shortcake ( A. microclados) but after a little help from some SPS experts I believe it to be a Tricolor Valida (A. valida). Top-down shot.
hIAkW1Z.jpg

Torch from back/flow side
x8yBnoc.jpg

RBTA top-down shot
yUP2BlW.jpg

Scarlet Reef Hermit being silly
JJ4qixo.jpg

Got a short little 1 min. video today of the Orchid Dottyback swimming in and out of his cave. He seems to be settling in very well. It didn't turn out to be the best quality, but I tried! Its really hard with the color of this fish.

Check it out here:
https://youtu.be/yiUnsrzMCqA

Back
Top Bottom