Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been noticing more and more red coralline algae in my tank. Not pink or purple, but red. Is send to like what I have going on for some reason. I don't mind it but it's interesting and not something I've seen in many peoples tanks.

not for the life of me can I get Coraline growing in my 90 , the first tank I started 4 years ago had so much it drove me insane go figure ,
when I tore down my 40g it had green,orange,red,blue,yellow,pale pink , once all that rock went into the 90g poof it all died off,

not for the life of me can I get Coraline growing in my 90 , the first tank I started 4 years ago had so much it drove me insane go figure ,
when I tore down my 40g it had green,orange,red,blue,yellow,pale pink , once all that rock went into the 90g poof it all died off,

That's how my first tank was. It was a 35 gal hex front. Purple coralline grew like crazy in it. It was a pain to get off of the glass, but I liked it covering all the rocks. I transferred over to a 38 tall and it did OK, but not as well as the 35. Now since I have transferred to the 40 breeder there is not much new growth in the purple coralline, but the red seems to be spreading that I have noticed recently. I also switched from T5 HO's while I had the 38 tall, I think this may had a little to do with it. As well as a huge asterina star population boom that ate a lot of coralline algae. That harlequin I had a while back had a fun time with thoses guys! I still see those stars in my sump, and every now and again the DT. I remove them from the DT if it is not to much hassle. That harlequin was a extremely interesting character!

FxTXLSy.jpg

How old is your tank Paul?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
It has (almost all of the rock) been transferred 3 times from tank to the tank its in now going on 4 years almost. And before that when I started off with fresh water in the 35 hex front, it got converted to brackish (for my green spotted puffer) and then made it up to true marine, then reef. It was a complete metamorphosis! ;)

With the Euphylias gone and a new little LPS that I have had my eyes on for a long time now in mind, I decided to do a slight rescape. I put all my Monti caps in there own little island where I had the Euphylias. Should give them plenty of room to get to a good size and an overall perfect spot for them. I did accidently get 2 frags of my red monti cap in this entire process, but everything else went smoothly. I just got done doing all of this so the water is cloudy from disturbing some of the sandbed and not everything is happy with me. The front left side of the tank is still under debate but here are some photos of it once I got done.

WJMuWii.jpg

mlNW24N.jpg

Xd2LqkL.jpg

It has (almost all of the rock) been transferred 3 times from tank to the tank its in now going on 4 years almost. And before that when I started off with fresh water in the 35 hex front, it got converted to brackish (for my green spotted puffer) and then made it up to true marine, then reef. It was a complete metamorphosis! ;)

Wow! That's a lot of moving. Yea I don't know what causes the coralline algae but I always thought it was a good sign but can be a pain. I have a lot of it in my 29 gallon that I was always cleaning it off the the glass.

Maybe I need to get your advice on moving my 29 gallon and not having to recycle it. Checkout my 29 gallon thread. Thanks

Maybe I need to get your advice on moving my 29 gallon and not having to recycle it. Checkout my 29 gallon thread. Thanks

Wasn't aware you had a thread for that tank. Got a link?

ya that harlequin was a character , Those stares aren't much a bother no more my red coris wrasse eats about anything , including stupid fish that like to harass him

Picked up this little fiery piece today. :D You don't see many of these in my area. Cell phone pic for now, just finished acclimation.

vOtEN7t.jpg

Picked up this little fiery piece today. :D You don't see many of these in my area. Cell phone pic for now, just finished acclimation.

vOtEN7t.jpg

What a gorgeous blasto!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys! It was actually orange a while back when he got it, but send to have turned alot more red. Still nice though. We week see if my lights and placement does anything for it.

Back
Top Bottom