Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked up a really nice little frag of chili pepper monti yesterday. I should have taken a photo before I mounted it, so now its hard to get a good shot. Here is what I was able to get of it for now. The tank is cloudy because I was messing around in it adjusting a couple rocks and coral.

yLmJvq7.jpg

GpSsXL4.jpg

Picked up a tiny little red rock flower anemone and 4 polyp frag of Rasta zoas, finally! Acclimating now.

WOW I can't get over how they glow !!!
1jJ0lG7.jpg

I'll take a frag of each :D
even the zoas I got today don't look that good

There are a couple more smaller pieces of it left at my LFS, Clarksville Reef and Reptiles.

So im 99% sure that I have FINALLY figured out what has been killing my acros and overall color loss in my coral.... copper! It dawned on me when I was gonna get a really cool looking piece of live rock from my buddy at the LFS and he told me that those tanks all have copper in them. When i got my Potter's angel and brought him home, we had to run somewhere so I just tossed the bag in to float untill i got back and there was a hole in the bag that I didnt notice. I came home to the bag sinking and deflated so i just cut the bag and released the fish and water (major rookie mistake, but the water was already out in the tank). I just kinda shrugged it off because I wasnt aware of the copper in those tanks. I havent tested it yet (dont have copper test yet) but i did pick up some cuprisorb on the way home and just put it in the tank. I will know if that is it if the cuprisorb turns blue. Hopefully i can get this rather horrifying situation under control. My snails are still kicking so i assume the level isnt very high, though almost any amount in a reef tank is a very bad thing. This stuff can be regenerated with muratic acid as well which is prettu cool. Hopefully I will have some good results soon. This product by seachem has good reviews and seems to be pretty legit from what i have read about it. I brought my bud a few acros thay where not doing good (bonsai and 3 others) the other day for him to bring home to see if he could save them. I also picked up a single head torch the other day (before i realized the copper) to see how it would do in my tank because he finally got some very very nice and rather pricey gold torches in which i have been trying to get for a very long time. Hopefully once i get this under control and get the money, I will have a piece to really show off. Ill try to get some photos to the new guy soon, ive been real busy.

Sorry for the super long post!

Cupramine!! Or whatever that stuff is called that stuff is called that takes copper out of the water!! Dang man really sorry to hear what's going on in your tank :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cupramine!! Or whatever that stuff is called that stuff is called that takes copper out of the water!! Dang man really sorry to hear what's going on in your tank :(

I think the cupramine is the copper, the cuprisorb absorbs the copper. I'm not giving up man! Im just glad that I finally figured out what was happening to my tank, even though it is scary. Go figure its something i dont test for.

Sorry to hear about your tank issues. Hope it all works out for you and you dont lose to many corals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the cupramine is the copper, the cuprisorb absorbs the copper. I'm not giving up man! Im just glad that I finally figured out what was happening to my tank, even though it is scary. Go figure its something i dont test for.

Yeah man I feel your pain. I'm actually going through some type of disease right now in my tank. I lost my potters and royal gramma and my blennies isn't looking good. It kinda looks like velvet. I've got the rest of the fish in a 15 gallon qt trying to figure out how to treat them. Learned a pretty hard lesson

Yeah man I feel your pain. I'm actually going through some type of disease right now in my tank. I lost my potters and royal gramma and my blennies isn't looking good. It kinda looks like velvet. I've got the rest of the fish in a 15 gallon qt trying to figure out how to treat them. Learned a pretty hard lesson

Dang man, sorry to hear that. Hope you get things under control and your blenny pulls through. I've seen my Potters nip at some of my coral so im starting to think he is not going to be permanent. Good luck to both of us!!

Just put a deposit on the gold torch today. I have always wanted one of these as its probably my all time favorite euphyllia. Ill be leaving sunday to go out of state tp work for a week and will get it some time after i get back if things are in check. He has 3 left (2 heads each) so i got first dibs except for the one he took home the day they came in. I couldnt let these pass! Here are some cell shots of them in the store. The one I have reserved is the top left one.
eAOSRAn.jpg

gWBZmKt.jpg

Here is my current torch that I may bring back to make room for the new one but havent decided yet.(cell pic as well)
8KjE3Tn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom