Pencil Urchin Losing spines...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed my pencil urchin dropping spines. When they grow, do they develop a "new" line of spines? My water is good. I think it growing, I have never seen one up close, other than in my tanks...

Unfortunately, the spine dropping is not a good sign. They have low tolerance to poor water conditions, or changes in water conditions. They lose spines as their condition deteriorates. Unless you find the problem and fix it soon, you will lose your urchin.

Have you had it a long time? If not, it might be an acclimation issue.

Please post exact water chemistry parameters and maybe we can help find out what is wrong.

I'll get my water specs tonight. I do the 45 min drip acclimation. It does look like he has a new "row" of spines coming in....He is relatively small.

roka64 said:
I do the 45 min drip acclimation.
Inverts like these need hours, not minutes. Something to keep in mind for future. Is this a new addition?

Cheers
Steve

All,
My water is good, PH was 8, but I added more. I only have the seamaster's saltwater kit. So I haven't checked for phosphates, will get that on Saturday.....

Phosphates won't have much to do with it but it wouldn't hurt to have the test kit.

A pH of 8.0 is a concern unless an early AM reading. How's the alk, Ca, salinity and temp?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom