Peppered Cory cats spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have three Cory cats one female and two males. Just saw her lay some eggs on the glass and saw a male eat a few should I move them?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392864232.698012.jpg kind of hard to see but the one in front is holding the eggs

If you can see in the photo there's a sack under the fish with a few eggs

It isn't a sack, it's the ventral fins, a good picture can be found in the link I provided. Normally around 5-7 eggs are held this way at a time, each female may produce 40-60 eggs sometimes more.

The female holds them here until she finds a place to deposit them.

A full set of pictures detailing the breeding process of C.paleatus can be found on my flickr page. I have regularly bred this fish for some time.

(Sorry to say this)
Really you want a ratio of three females to one male. A single male has more than enough energy to chase the female literally to death. I'm speaking from experience here.

Well ok thanks for the info. Do you think I could move the eggs to another tank without hurting them,it would be better to move a few eggs than a bunch of fish.

I've never tried it, I suppose it's possible? They are sticky.

Normally i separate the fish to a tank for breeding, once I have eggs I split the females to an isolation (Recovery) tank for a week or two and the male goes back to the community.

Not sure if you are able to, Ian fuller is the man who has dedicated about 30years of his life to Cory species. He would know. You may need to buy his book though!

The first time I saw what you are seeing one egg survived, naturally we called it nemo, after that I lost a few loads with no survivors, every time after that (when I have chosen) I have done it as described above. Normally 6-8 week cycles, I did that for a few years. Bringing them into spawning is not too difficult. Raising fry to adults is slightly harder but still very achievable.

It's exciting isn't it!

Back
Top Bottom