Peppered cory questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some peppers about 8 months to a year ago and they are doing great the question is why are some smaller than others and one is huge and they all follow that one any advice

xfactor6699 said:
I bought some peppers about 8 months to a year ago and they are doing great the question is why are some smaller than others and one is huge and they all follow that one any advice

I have some peppered cories too and some are bigger than the rest also. I always just assumed that some are more dominant than others and get more food as a result.

Yeah but some haven't grown at all in the year..i figured in the beginning it was a dominate thing but now I'm not sure

Corydoras Question

Hello x...

I keep several species of Corys and mine are very peaceful. As far as growth, all the same species don't come from the same place necessarily. Breeders are different. Some specialize in breeding larger fish, others look for different features and try to breed that specific trait.

I've never really thought about the size, just focused on keeping the fish healthy.

B

IME with peppered corys, the females get bigger. My little males follow the girls around a lot. :) I have had my peppered corys for about a year (some less) and the girls definitely are bigger and fatter.
As long as your tank is big enough for them all to grow properly, then I also agree with bbradbury.

Thx...there are only 5 in a 55g tank and it would explain a lot if the big one is a female...are they hard to breed

Thx...there are only 5 in a 55g tank and it would explain a lot if the big one is a female...are they hard to breed
They are not hard to breed, but not many babies usually make it in a community setting.
Yeah, you have all kinds of space in that tank. I think its quite likely you have big girl. :) The females get a bigger, rounder belly so they get the appearance that their heads won't even hit the ground.
Also, like bbradbury said, even if your fish came from the same place, they could have a mixed gentic background, so maybe some will just be smaller. :)

Yep, the size difference is a difference in the sexes IME.
I have a school of 6. Four are probably males, two are definitely female. The females are pushing three inches and the males are barely two inches. They've spawned before so I'm sure they're genders are correct haha.
There are also such things as "high-fin peppered cories" which are smaller than regular peppered cories. You might have a mix!

This is a little off subject but I've got a lot of pairs in my tank and none have spawned and my tank is heavily planted why is this

Corys are egg scatterers, so they may have spawned, but then other fish ate the eggs. Also, it could be possible that they have not spawned because they can not get their romance one with tankmates there too.

I have so much java moss..like a 5g bucket full could they have spawned and I can't see the babies yet because they are hiding

I have so much java moss..like a 5g bucket full could they have spawned and I can't see the babies yet because they are hiding
Yeah, theres a chance. I do not know a lot about the exact parameters preferred for breeding. I don't know if there is a preferred pH or temp or anything.

Mumma is right, I found eggs the morning after a water change, sadly my two angels thought they were a snack.

Back
Top Bottom