Perfect stock for 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 55g freshwater tank with a 20g sump. I plan on gradually getting to medium to high light plants running CO2. I would also like to breed these fish. I'm here looking for stocking suggestions, male to female ratios, and total number of fish I can have. So far from what I can see the bolivian rams seem like a good start. Any help would be appreciated

I don't know about bolivian rams. But try these:
1 common pleco,
4 tinfoil barbs(2 albino and 2 normal)
1 walking catfish
2 rosy barbs
2 brilliant rasboras
8 mollies
1 red tailed shark
4-9 guppies
2 platies.

Keep more rathern than fewer barbs, they're pretty aggro if they're not all together. Platies are more outstanding from a distance than Guppies, if you're looking for a show piece. Guppies are beautiful but their detail is often smaller. Platies tend to be one solid colour.

Get Kribensis for colour and also Red or Blue rams. Blue are very expensive £20 per fish here but they're utterly gorgeous. Kribs and rams raise and defend their babies. For rams, put in a slate. They'll clean it and lay their eggs on it which are defended primarily by the male. For kribs, take a plant pot and turn it upside down, and cut a hole in the side of it. They look for a cave with one entrance that has a roof - their eggs go on the roof.

RamBlue4.jpg

I have two silver dollars in my 55 UK Gal tank. People might say it's too small and it probably will be eventually, but they're great fun to watch and they're BIG, so they stand out quite well. IMO they look best when the tank light is off but another light is on outside the tank, as their silvery body flashes with the light.

Back
Top Bottom