pet store not as good as I imgained

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
well from what I heard I thought the new petland we got down here was awesome, but I went there and it was a sad sad place for fish, don't get me wrong the stroe was fabolous with its layout and design, all the pets were in great shape and well took care of, but the fish section which was crammed in the back of this recessed cave liek room, they had no more than 12 tanks for fresh water with all neons, 1 baby pleco for 7 bucks!! and a few other small fish, then there was 2 75 bowfronts on top each other with some saltwater fish, the only good thing they had was a large selection of live plants, they had no description of the fish on the tanks, and the merchandise was nice since they had alot of things you couldn't find here and was forced to order, but it was way to expensive, like 8 bucks for a 2.2 oz can of tetramin tropical flakes, I can go to walmart and get it for 3 bucks lol

That's too bad. Most chain pet stores fish section depresses me. I almost hate to look at the poor fish at walmart.

As much as I complain about my local LFS as far as the neophyte attendants @ times, I must say that their displays are always super clean and uncrowded. They do a great job of showcasing their fish; it's rare to see a sick or dead fish, as I've seen in other stores. Yes, they can be pricey, but that's part of what makes this hobby fun. I can compare prices when I'm just looking, or I can get that thermometer or frozen brine shrimp when in a hurry to have it. Or sometimes, a special fish that looks super healthy is worth the price.
And when I'm ready to pay, I don't have to trip over shopping carts and maneuver my way through a maze of merchandise, to stand in line and wait for a price check on some 'discontinued' Yellow Poka Dot Bikini, looking like it's about 3 sizes too small. :idea:

I think the Walmart/Kmart pet departments have good intentions when 'corporate' heads offer pet product departments, but [sometimes] it seems that these positions are filled by wage earners who have no stock in the 'stock', and are there just to collect a check.
I'm sure there are good stores like this too, it's just that it seems there are more bad ones than good.

imo.........

Hey Tropicfishman - that's too bad about the new store. Did it seem that they were completely done with that area, or maybe they're still in the process of getting their staff up-to-speed and their merchandise set-up.

Hopefully, it will get better over time. Maybe corporate wanted to 'test the waters' and see how popular fish-keeping is in that area...and then add more stock if it seems like a good market. I don't know, just wishful thinking.

:)

I have 2 LFS in my city (other than Wal-Mart). Petland and Petsmart, I have had little problems with Petsmart even though they have more dead fish in their tanks at any given time of the day. Petland however always has high prices and the only fish I got there have had diseases. Not to mention they participate in painting x-ray tetras. I've stopped going to petland really.

I bet they aren't finished setting up, but then again they might be. We have a small store by us that is great with small animals and birds but the fish section is bad too. Not all people who want to start up a petstore or manage one know how to deal with fish. This store also sells stuff for way too much also so I don't buy from there often, but its nice to have an extra store on the side just in case they have something the others don't.

Actually thats the way they care for their fish. We have a petland in a plaza off of Mcguire rd In Orlando Fl. The fish section is horrible, tanks are dirtier than petco. Theres no plants in some of them. The fish bodies are left in there for days on end. About 85% of the fish are over priced. Yeah its pretty bad...

If you have a petsupermarket near by, I recommend them over all other chain brand stores.
The one over on East Colonial Dr is probably the best pet store I've seen. I live in a area where privately owned stores are nonexistent.

1:petSuperMarket
2: ???
3:petsmart
4:petco
5:petland

There are no second best stores IMHO...
~Mp

I went to a petsupermarket near me and I wasn't too impressed. A woman was looking at the fish (all 8 tanks) and we started talking about cories - she decided she wanted some and asked the clerk about how they would mix with the other fish in her tank (guppies and platies) and the clerk told her the cories were too aggressive ( !).
I think the point is that each store is individually managed so they will vary - I'm not sure we can make generalizations about the entire chain as they seem to be quite variable

I agree completely with Joannde that we can’t generalize. There is a petland near my house, and it is almost as good as any fish store I’ve been to (I had the best one ever when I lived in Charleston, SC). Now depending on when you go there will affect who you have helping you. There is one guy who is very very knowledgeable and is obviously in charge of taking care of the fish. Sometimes you get someone with less experience, but that happens in a chain store.

Yes their fish section was in the back in a “cave”, but the reason for that is so that the only light in the tanks will be the fluorescents over the tank. It makes the fish stand out more.

In my area Petland > Petsmart, but you really can’t generalize. I just make visits to the stores and see how the fish are doing (no good FW LFS in the area :(). If I like the place I go back. If I don’t like it then I don’t
go back.

**EDIT
Yes Petland is expensive. More than it should be. I just buy supplies elsewhere though.
If you get their "pet card" or whatever (like a kroger card) you save 10% on every purchase though, which helps with the livestock.

Petsmart around here ,well about 11 miles away, is realy nice. I have yet to see a dead fish in thier tanks and they are reasonably priced. They have a very good selection ,better than I have seen anywere else.In fact thier fish section is bigger than any other dept. in the store. Clarksville TN. As for Wal-Mart I must defend that thier is only one person who takes care of our fish, she comes in dureing the morening to feed and dump the dead. Wal-Mart doesn't care about (well at least our store) the fish dept . (or any dept. for that matter) they are just merchendise that they can claim and still get paid for. Thier system is set up that all tanks go threw one filter so that when one tank gets Ick all tanks get Ick. It is realy not good. I have 2 golds ( out of 7 others died because of treatment while at the store) . By the way it's not just someone getting a check it's that they aren't in that deptment and probably were just swamped in thier dept. but a manager jerked them over to live pets because someone has been thier for 20 min. and don't know. That's Wal-Mart way of customer service .

The Petsmart by me is actually nice also. There are two very knowledgable staff in the dept and one of them is generally there whenever I go. I really have no issues with them at all (except for the bettas in those horrid little cups but that's SOP in most stores anyway).

i was in a LFs yesterday and heard an employee telling a customer that they are NOT allowed to remove and dead fish until the end of the shift...something about yuppies complaining about seeing the fish removed and all so now they have to wait until a shift change

the place was finished off, all the tanks did look increadibly healthy and so clear you thought there wasn't any water, I'm hoping they are just starting small to get a feel for the customer base in this area, which bites becuase I have a savings account, check book and credit card waiting to be used lol

The Petsmart near me is actually cleaner than the LFS, it looks well taken care of.

I actually kind of appreciate bettas in cups. I think the cups should be bigger, but its like the fish is being quarentined already for the customers.

imo petsmart here is soso. ive had three fish outa like 15 live. and thats just including me.
Then theres petland and i bought two fish and they both died. My dad bought fish they all lived.
so that one is ok.
and as for walmart. i have a better percentage of fish living from there then i did anywhere else .
so i cant really comment.
to tell you the truth tho. i spend alot of time a week in the petstores at least 2 days a week for each . and when my dad goes theres an extra couple days. LLOLL
i just look and buy and look and buy.
i actually buy alot of stuff.
but i like quite a few pets stores that are 2 hours away. alot nicer and better. cost more money but still there fish are in better condition.
i bought 24 fish from there and all are still living, and they were stucking bags for two hours which is the best sucess yet i had from anywhere

Ok ill throw my 2 cents in ... in my area Petland is the best fish store around .... it def beats out petsmart and petco who always have dead fish and dumb people working there who you cant find. Well at my petland the fish are setup in the back and lit up only by the tank lights but there are also bigger tanks out on display with awesome fish and plants in them .... they have a awesome selection of healthy fish and plants and that is where i get most of my stuff now. The reason i think mine is different is the manager of the fish section there is a guy who has been doing it for like 20+ years ... i was there the other day and talked with him about stuff for like an hour and he really knew his stuff and what he was doing. He had just ordered a lot of discus cause that was his favorite fish and he had a nice display of them and IMO they are pretty hard fish to keep (and not cheap) .... so just thought id let yall know.

Ray

Yeah Ray, I think we go to the same Petland (135th and I-35). That guy is really good. I wish there were other stores in the area to check out, but for now that seems to be it. I'm going to go searching again this weekend for a couple others that I've heard of.

He did however misguide me on a Red Melon Sword. I have it in a low light tank and it may or may not make it.

-Jeff

heh hey man i didnt know anyone else was on here from my area but yea thats the one im talking about .... his info is usually pretty money .... but i did have an issue with a dwarf lilly bulb i bought .... he said he would grow fast but i havnt seen much but a little stem out of it but when i went in today to check out his they are growing like crazy ... so who knows .... i also picked up some awesome looking swordtails while i was in there today for only like $2 a piece and 10 huge ghost shrimp for $1.50 :) .... but glad to know someone else is here holding it down in KS

Ray

Back
Top Bottom