Petco strikes again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I stopped by wife's workplace and she mentioned that there was this guy there that was asking about his aquarium. He was wondering how to keep nitrates down because he bought all the stuff at once incl. a test kit.

I asked him "what is the history of your tank" and he said it is saltwater, he just got it 3 weeks ago from Petco. I asked if he was familiar with the biological cycle of an aquarium etc and he didn't seem too sure of what I was talking about. I asked him if he had any livestock in there and get this, they sold him hermit crabs, a dottyback, a clownfish, a starfish and a hunk of live rock and in they all went, right when he first got the tank set up. Pretty impressive that all the occupants are still alive at this point...especially since it is a 10 gallon tank. And yes he said the starfish was acting like it was hurtin.

SIGH........

Anyway I could go on but I'm not going to. There enough stuff wrong with this picture that it's just silly.

How funny, I had a very similar experience there. This lady had four fish baged and was asking about three more. I asked her how big her tank was and just out of curiosity asked how she was going to keep her ammonia levels down adding that many fish at one time. She had a small tank 40 or 45 gallon and the clerk told her everything would be fine adding that many fish... I said If I were you Id get on the internet and do some checking said good luck and walked away shaking my head.....

I forgot to do that too... URK!

I could have scribbled down the url for him on a sticky and said here ya go.

NEXT time I will do just that.... LOL

He said his wife was doin all the research anyway. :?

"URK" is an awesome word i must start using it now!

oh yeah havnt been posting latly as the setups have been running great.

I don't know why petco people would say its ok to add that many fish, because at my job i dont get paid commision just like petco, if somethings wrong i tell them dont buy it, or try starting out with something less. 8)

I wish you guys would come up with some hand out cards. I have told many people about your site but I really dont think they ever take the time to go on line or forget the address. I know the lady at the bank joined because she mentions it everytime I go in.. Fun. SO, when are you sending out those cards???

reef that is a great idea

A printable card or quarter-sheet on this site....

KOOL......

Back
Top Bottom