Petsmart s. Repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i had heard nothing but good things about the gel pack plants at petsmart so i went today and got a pack of the staurogyne repens for around $10 got it home and unwrapped it and ended up with 48 stems several of which had side shoots growing. At the lfs i normally get my plants from the s. Repens is app. $5 a stem so i did some math and found i saved $230 at the petsmart. Definitely recommend this to anybody for the bang for the buck!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412478425.048950.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's where I got mine from. Great deal! My favorite carpet plant.
These are no where near their full grown size (from growing in the special media). Once they acclimate to the tank, the new growth will have progressively larger leaves. I recommend using tooth picks to help hold them in place early on until the roots grow in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is a great deal, lol! I think the other amazing deal is the Pogostemon Helferi aka Downoi! It used to be crazy expensive like $18-20 a plant (I think more even:eek:). Until the awesome little deals in the tissue culture gel packs!!!

Let's see that planted!

Yep, excellent deal indeed, I've had great Luck with stars there, the downoi as Autumnsky mentioned is great deal! when they have it though.. I was lucky enough to get 3 to grow well, got a side shoot now too so 3.5:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys! It was late when i got in last night so i just separated them all and floated them in the tank but as soon as i get them planted ill post some pictures for you!

Does anybody know if these guys are grown emersed or submersed?

Emersed

Ok so i can probably expect a pretty significant die off?

Ok so i can probably expect a pretty significant die off?

Nahh.. the repens were pretty solid through and through. The downoi melted like frosty at a Metallica concert. The dhg is giving me some trouble too. Stars were the easiest out of the bunch though..

I planted some clearance Tropica Crypts a few weeks ago and really didn't lose more than a leaf or two, likely from handling, getting the gel off. I have a lower to mid range light and no tech, lol. I think maybe depends on the tank, like a high tech tank should experience more dramatic differences. The other times I have tried the Balansae Crypts and S. Repens little problem. Though after awhile the Crypts shaded the S. Repens and the snails ate the rest but that was after 6-8 months. Oopsy...but not the Repens fault, it was the crazy wild Balansae.

Last edited:
Oh ok awesome. I actually had to throw some away i got so much in that pack lol. Wouldnt all fit in my tank...

Its emersed grown but it's tissue culture. Its grown in a very high humidity environment so transition dieoff isn't much of a factor unless the plant just doesn't like your system.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I've gotten quiet a few plants from petsmart.. I got my wisteria there and its exploded in 2 of my tanks.. and I also got Altenthera Reneki from them.. One of the only red plants that stay red even in the worst lighting... I got like 100 little stems half an inch from a $5 pack and now they are in all 7 of my tanks.. they are very pretty and grow very tall

I've had really good luck with their gel pack plants :)

My water wisteria is a monster, both of the swords grew like crazy plus the alternanthera reineckii pack I just bought had a ton in itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413316630.690659.jpg

There was about 15 stems in there. That was before I planted but had them out of the package

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413316611.939942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413316611.939942.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 84
Its emersed grown but it's tissue culture. Its grown in a very high humidity environment so transition dieoff isn't much of a factor unless the plant just doesn't like your system.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.
How fussy is s. repens? I know it does best in high-light, but has anyone tried it in a low-tech tank? I was thinking about giving it a try, but I'm wondering how well it adapts to slower growth.

I have mine under a fugeray with excel dosing and seachem flourish and its not like growing crazy or anything but its growing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to be purchasing some Java Fern and Anubias tonight from Petsmart (gel pack). Are there any steps other than the instructions on the side that I should follow?

I've been pleased with these gel packs as well, even when from the outside it looks kind of sad. Did some crypt undulata recently ... Picked them apart into a few dozen little plants, pulled off the brown leaves, and they're doing very well (no melting either). Almost bought the s repens yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

With the anubias just make sure I leave the rhizome out and just the roots in gravel if you are putting it into substrate.

The little packs usually have a TON in them - so even though they are smaller in size and take a lot of patience in the end cost of plant they are super cheap

Back
Top Bottom