pH Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madimoe10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have had a hard time maintaining my pH. I put baking soda in and get my tank to a place I would like it to be and a few days later it is registering at a 6.0 on my Freshwater Master Test Kit... Help! How do I increase (and then maintain) my pH??

I'm new to this hobby too, but I suggest you invest in the actual ph chemical. I know baking soda increases ph, but it also contains minerals that can be damaging to the fish. Have you tested your tap water for ph? Mine hovers around 7.4 or so, which is within range for freshwater fish.

Steady ph is much more important than trying to fight and find the ideal ph. Fish will adjust to the waters ph, but constant fluctuations and adjustments cause unnecessary stress on them

My only concern is it is more than likely less than 6.0 but that is the lowest my test registers. I only have a rabbit snail right now so it wouldn't be incredibly detrimental to my fish tank

You can buy a bag of crushed coral at the pet store pretty cheap, and a fine filter bag for like a buck or 2. Fill it up and lay that in your filter, it'll last for months, and it'll raise your water hardness and ph and you don't have to mess with chemicals and a drastically fluctuating ph

Awesome! I have a sponge filter.. would it be okay to just tuck the bag back in the corner behind my filter??

Yeah, it would help a little. Or spread it into and on your substrate. Water flowing thru it is best, but try that for a few days and check your ph again and you'll know

Might be just as easy to construct a nice looking limestone Hardscape. I have nearly 200 lbs. of limestone in my primary tank. It keeps the PH at a steady 8.2. No fear of a PH crash.

This might start some controversy but I have had good results using seachem neutral regulator 7.0. It’s pretty easy to use but i personally like to dissolve it in aquarium water then add slowly to my water. The bottle says a teaspoon for 10-20 gallons when just starting go with the lower amount and test the change the next day. Once you have it good enough (mine is 6.8) then just use when doing water changes.

This might start some controversy but I have had good results using seachem neutral regulator 7.0. It’s pretty easy to use but i personally like to dissolve it in aquarium water then add slowly to my water. The bottle says a teaspoon for 10-20 gallons when just starting go with the lower amount and test the change the next day. Once you have it good enough (mine is 6.8) then just use when doing water changes.
I think whatever works for each person is a great idea. I was initially just suggesting that the ph should be left alone, even at 6.0 it's good for most fish outside of rift lake African cichlids

I think whatever works for each person is a great idea. I was initially just suggesting that the ph should be left alone, even at 6.0 it's good for most fish outside of rift lake African cichlids

Absolutely! I also def agree some chase ph more than they need too. I was mainly just nervous about suggesting the chemical approach as I know a lot disagree but it has worked for me. I also have found my fish seem much happier/healthier in my tank since I’ve gotten it at a consistent 6.8 ish. :)

Yeah, that's a good number too. I wish my tap water was that soft. Mine comes out about 7.6-7.8 at the best. But all my fish do fine in that, even my wife's discus. They spawn but the eggs never hatch, too hard. But that's OK too, I don't want a bunch of fry.

Back
Top Bottom