pH and nitrAtes dropping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should put in a link to you DIY post for the ECS in that post by the way(use the edit button).. :mrgreen:
I would look to see how much NO3 is being consumed a day.. in other words test it the same time every day and track how much NO3 is being consumed by the plants..

Dave, you've got your ferts right. You're also adding K, another macro, with each dose. I would be surprised if you need to dose PO4 at 2wpg and no CO2, but good you have it.

I agree with checking every day to start. Then move on to every other day -- which, depending on NO3, will likely be your dosing day. If PO4 doesn't move much, you don't need to measure it often. It took me a couple of weeks to feel confident about NO3/PO4 uptake numbers, fwiw. Too incorporate this into your ECS, you can use Chuck Gadd's calculator or working solutions section of spituch's computation page to mix solution of KNO3 with your ECS volume, with .67L dose. (.67L comes from calling 1/2gal 2L, and dividing by 3 doses per week.) Still game to help with calcs, of course.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I'll keep a log of my no3 uptake and post my results :)

Should I keep using Flourish for my micros ?

Thx,

Dave

Sweet. If Flourish helps, there's no reason not to use it. It could be argued you don't need micros at all, though, and should only dose with sign of deficiency. If youd rather dose it, you can always stop if you get algae.

So apparently a dash is 1/8tsp, a pinch 1/16tsp, and a smidgen 1/32tsp http://www.epinions.com/content_132339240580 :!:

*edited - attempt to explain better.

My no3 dropped to 10 4 days ago and it's still 10. No dosing or pwc. Could I be lucky enough to have gotten the over feeding technique right and keep doing what I've been doing ?

Thx,

Dave

I would still watch my PH.. it might drop.. Im thinking it could take a while before the NO3 dops but your overfeeding is likely to cause your PO4 to go up too high.. I would look for algae problems.. What are you PO4 readings? :mrgreen:

Xzap said:
My no3 dropped to 10 4 days ago and it's still 10. No dosing or pwc. Could I be lucky enough to have gotten the over feeding technique right and keep doing what I've been doing ?

Thx,

Dave

7/11/05:
25% pwc last week
pH is 6.6
no3 10
dKH 3 or 53.7

Thx,

dave

What I was saying is that with a low KH and not changing water is two things that will cause problems with your PH dropping.. The KH is your buffering cappasity and without water changes your likely to get acid buildup from the nitrogen cycle and the acids released by having plants fluvic acids.. and the acids from the waste produced by the plant material decaying if you have any of that.. I would be very carefull to not assume that my tank as struck a balance of some sort when there are more then one condition working against that balance.
Your KH is close to being high enough now... does the tank still have baking soda in it? It seems like your PH has gone down a little.. I would wait it out fro another test but it looks like your numbers are somewhat promising... your NO3 is right on.. the KH could stand to be just a little higher though and that would help get your PH back up in the 6.8-6.9 range it was holding at... but of course it might find a ballance at a PH of 6.6 so it might just need time.. :mrgreen:

Your numbers look good to me Dave. Have you tested KH and pH from tap? You may have to buffer up your tap, but it appears you have NO3 right for your plant load.

Yeah I like the looks of those numbers too cz. I added some dwarf hair grass, a temple plant that's planted in 2 square inches of common soil in a rock planter and a few lbs of Flourite.

My tap pH is 7.2 - 7.6.
My tap is 2 dKH or 35.8

Thx,

Dave

Man this is one epic post! Great discussion of water quality issues/plant issues ~ I'm lovin' it! I gotta say, though Xzap I would try to just get the system more stable for several months before changing flora/fauna. (system ~ pwc, addition of ferts/conditioners, etc. . .)

Thanks for the thorough documentation!

Even tho I don't have the test kit, how would one go about keeping these two levels in balance ? And what constitutes "in balance"?

Dave

Xzap said:
Update 7/15/05

No pwc this week, nh3 0.0
pH is holding at 6.6 - 6.8
no3 10.0

:D

Thx,

Dave

7/22/05 Update
No pwc this week
nh3 0
pH 6.8
no3 10

Very good plant growth. Added java moss, moneywort.

dave

Back
Top Bottom