pH controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
I'm going CO2 in our planted 40g. I have everything except the pH controller. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good yet inexpensive one?

I was advised the Milwaukee Sms122 pH controller was highly recommended. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I will also have this cross-posted in the planted tank forum.

Last edited:
thats the most common one. lots of people use them. they are not a must by any means though.

I know they are not a must, but for this tank, since there seems to be nothing helping lower the pH unlike in my other tanks, I think this will be my only option. I don't want to use the pH down crap, and peat only lasts for so long. The plants and DW are not even helping the pH be stable. It fluxes between 7.4 and 7.6m, then I have to get out the high range tester. And a water change? Eeeesh I get a spike of over 8.4 with a 5g change. We've changed out the black sand to a 50/50 of 3M color quartz and Eco-complete thinking the sand might be the problem. It wasn't.

you test the ph out of the water then let it sit out and gas out then test it? are you wanting to add the co2 because of the fish?

I have heard from quite a few people that milwaukee's are junk.

I got one on the tank all the time that I think is bright green housing, wasnt cheap and also a instant portable vitalsine Ph meter.

you test the ph out of the water then let it sit out and gas out then test it? are you wanting to add the co2 because of the fish?

We did that when we first noticed a problem. We let it set for 24 hours, tested, 48 hours, tested etc.

The CO2 is to benefit both plants and the fish.

I have heard from quite a few people that milwaukee's are junk.

I got one on the tank all the time that I think is bright green housing, wasnt cheap and also a instant portable vitalsine Ph meter.

The only bright green housings I've found are the milwaukee's. Do you have any suggestions on other brands?

We did that when we first noticed a problem. We let it set for 24 hours, tested, 48 hours, tested etc.
what was the outcome of this?

i have often seen tom barr and several others talk on how the co2 wont effect the fish on the subject of ph. i think cutting the water with ro for lowering the ph for the fish would be a better option. my tanks with co2 i never seen really any effect i would tie into ph swings or what ever from the cycle of the co2. i used to run my co2 24/7. now i run it when the lights come on. the ph goes up and down though out the day with no effects.

It barely dropped over a 4 day period. We've tried with air stones on, airstones off. New substrate, still too high. The only fish that can survive in the tank so far have been otos and giant danios. Everything else dies after water changes which bring the highest spikes. Even our kribs. Which really p/o'ed me.

See, and from what I've read, having the pH controller will keep the pH level, even with water changes. R/O isn't an option, the set ups are too expensive. The CO2 equipment I have came with a tank, the pH controller is the only thing I have to buy.

so the tap water is 8.4 and the tank ph is 7.4?

it will put more co2 in if the water is spiking and lower the ph back down. though i dont think its doing what you want it to do. it wont end up being the true ph. maybe this link will better explain it. Aquaria Central - View Single Post - CO2 and pH
i understand what you are trying to do i just dont think it works the way you want it too.

Back
Top Bottom