pH fluctuations goldfish 55G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentalpaws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
which is worse, a sudden rise or drop in pH?

i know neither is good, over a short period of time that is. I think i experienced both in the past 24 hours. I'm a little freaked out right now, so go easy on me please just trying to do whats best for my fish.

last night, I added river rock after doing the vinegar test for fizzing (none) and then boiling them. Next day (today) i tested pH and it was over 7.6. it was dark blue...before adding the rock it was around 6.6 or 6.8-- so it shot way up.

Immediately dId a 75% PWC bacause i thought this high pH was lethal. Removed all the river rock and all the small gravel substrate (for fear of choking-thats why I added the river rock in the 1st place- to cover up the gravel).

whats the ideal pH level for goldfish? how to maintain? I read driftwood is good to lower, but how fast is too fast for lowering pH is my concern.

Its now reading at 7.2 / little darker now- but not blue like it was earlier today. NITRATE is 0.

Goldie seems fine - swimming ok and eating fine. Thank you. I now have nothing for substrate too. thank you.

Goldfish actually do better in higher ph, hard water. Although big ph swings are not ideal and stability is the best, in nature ph does fluctuate. Do not be concerned with lowering your ph but keeping it stable in your tap's ph range.

Have you tested your tap water? I know FL is well known for its hard, high ph water for the larger part but I do not know if this applies everywhere. Set out a container of tap with an airstone or bubbler and test the ph now then again in 24hrs after dissolved gasses have left the water. If you do not have an extra bubbler, just give the water a good stir every so often to help release dissolved gasses. Let us know how this looks! :)

yep i do have an extra bubbler.

will do that, it will be good to know the readings after sitting for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom