Ph level HIGH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just recently checked my ph level and its at 8.2... Obviously that is much to high. I have all community fish in it and I'm nervous as you can imagine. I just did a 20 gal water change/vacuum. How do I keep my ph level low? Feed my fish less? Do more pwc? The water coming out of my house it at about 7.6 which is still high I think? Should be around 7.2 right? Any advice on how I can my ph level lower?

My water is about that and my angels, tetras, bettas, Rasboras, sharks, Oscar, loaches, guppies, mollies, platys, etc. have all been just fine with it. Fish bred in captivity have generally learned how to accept a variety of levels of pH.

If you're really concerned though... What decor is in your tank? Rocks can sometimes raise pH depending on the type. There's other things too... But i'm not quite sure on everything. A different member will need to chime in.

Otherwise, there is pH lowering chemicals but IMO they are a HUGE waste of money. You burn through them quickly and it costs a lot.

If I remember correctly, KH has something to do with it as well.

Hello Fish...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to fret over the pH of your tap water. Just treat it for the chemicals like chlorine and chloramine. These are the chemicals the city people put into the water, so it's safe to drink.

The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies, so don't sweat the small stuff. Worry about something much more important, like setting up and following a sound water change routine.

B

My water is about that and my angels, tetras, bettas, Rasboras, sharks, Oscar, loaches, guppies, mollies, platys, etc. have all been just fine with it. Fish bred in captivity have generally learned how to accept a variety of levels of pH.

If you're really concerned though... What decor is in your tank? Rocks can sometimes raise pH depending on the type. There's other things too... But i'm not quite sure on everything. A different member will need to chime in.

Otherwise, there is pH lowering chemicals but IMO they are a HUGE waste of money. You burn through them quickly and it costs a lot.

If I remember correctly, KH has something to do with it as well.

Well the only real reason why this concerned me was my sunset DG died on me.. Only had him like 6 months and he was one of my favorites. Huge personality. Ok thanks for the help! I'll see what some other people have to say but I appreciate the help!

Check your lfs for RO water, its very cheap, at mine its 50¢ a gallon. They ph of the water is vey low, around 6.5-6.7, do a 50% water change with this water. Do not get chemicals to lower ph, it's costly, ineffective, and it will wear off in a week or two. After your 50% change, exchange water every week at 20% until at desired pH.

Back
Top Bottom