ph/nitrite sky rockets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wepwawet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a 50 percent water change two days ago

Water reading
Ph: 7.5 ish
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

I added a rock from lfs yesterday testing today has me in a panic

Water reading
Ph: 8.8 maximum reading
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 10 ppm

o_O i'm confused

ok I did a 25-30% pwc dosed with prime and startsmart complete let sit for 15 min and retest shows

Water reading
Ph: 8.4
Ammonia: .50ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Guessing there was a problem with your first Nitrite test (or a problem with this second one, test it again). A 25% PWC will not drop it from 5.0 to 0.25 and I wouldn't bank on that the BIB did a dern thing for you.

And what kind of rock is it?

Retested again ans still at. 25 not sure what i did wrong but gave me a heart attack.

Can't rem

Can't remember name of rock will find out tomorrow.

The BIB was a hope it helps deal as I'm doing a fish in cycle

It is a highly porous rock or a more "solid" piece? Got a pic of it?

I'm hoping to make it home to a procambarus toltecae but thats weeks out yet

A little update I tested this morning and it shows high nitrites again :( but also a boost of nitrate of 20ppm. I will do a 50% pwc when I get home I hope my fish can cope till then :(

If the rock is very porous, and was it an established tank for a while, it could be die-off from the algae and organisms in and on the rock.

Is the pH still increasing? Did you do a vinegar test on the rock?

The rock was in a dry crete (old milk crete)

I did not test the rock due to my lfs telling me all I had to do was run it under hot water to get the dust off. I will be pulling the rock out and see if I can get the tank to stabilize.

Question: I thought the vin test was for rocks I found and personally collected? Should i be testing every rock I take it?

The vinegar test is to determine if the rock is of a Calcium Carbonate makeup. If it is it will raise your KH and pH.

Did the vinegar test and no fizz looked on the net and lace rock seems hit and miss on rather it good or bad for freshwater tanks. I did a 70% pwc hope it will calm down

Ph is back to 7.5
Ammonia. 25
Nitrite. 25
Nitrate 10 ppm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Test in the morning and see how the night treats me

Back
Top Bottom