PH-non existent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I went and had my water tested at the LFS last week because I have been on vacation for nearly two strait months, and have had only the minimum time to test/do pwc/ etc and just wanted to be sure my parameters are all correct (plus they said when all my parameters are ok they will give me a cleaner shrimp 1/2 off) and I had just done a PWC earlier that week and tested and everything was fine, but when the lady tested it she said my PH was non-existent??? I kind of just stood their like ????? with probably the dumbest face because I was sooo confused, I was thinking how can PH be "non existent"???? is this possible??? my SG was 27, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0...she said that she was surprised I had living fish... but all my fish are acting, eating, and looking very healthy, my corals are open and are exhibiting normal behavior, I am doing weekly PWC, feeding just the right amount, not having trouble with algae (even though that wouldn't change if ph was off right?) but I am just really confused???? can PH really be non-existent?

I assume what she meant was it was at 7.0 or "neutral", if she didn't get any reading and it was truly "non existent" then the kit was bad. A good PH test is always going to produce some sort of color regardless if it's more acidic or alkaline. Tap water is typically around 7.0 and while it's not healthy SW fish can survive for short periods of time in that acidic water.

If your lfs had a clue they also would have tested for alk which is probably low as well.

You really need to spend the $20-$30 for the basic nh3/no2/no3/ph/alk test kits, there really isn't any reason for having to depend on the lfs for tests other then to verify your own results.

PH is going to change the most from when you pull it from your tank to the time you get it to the store, especially if it's in a closed container and the store is more then 20 minutes away.

I do have all but the Ph and alk test kits. I will buy them tomorow though if the LFS has any... thanks

Back
Top Bottom