PH on the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
What could possibly make my PH readings shoot up in a couple of days?
The only thing I added was a few plastic plants and a rock decoration.
I have been using PH down for 4 days. The PH seemed to go down the first couple of days to 7.6 and 7.4 in the HR PH. Then I added the plants and rock and a day later the PH is at 8.0.
Other decorarion in the tank include snail shells and fossilised coral. I was told I could add it to my freshwater tank without affecting the PH.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

It could be the coral. Don't add chemicals to mess with Ph, just try to keep it consistent. You can lower it naturally over time by adding driftwood and peat moss.

Agreed... Don't bother with pH chemicals. Add peat or DW to help lower your pH. 8.0 is not bad ... Plenty of members with healthy tanks at 8.2 -8.4. I'd also guess the coral's the culprit.

Thanks. The coral has been in this tank for two weeks and prior to that it was in a 5 gallon tank for 6 weeks with no issues. Do you think the coral is disolving now. Or even the PH down is making it disolve? It does have sulphuric acid!
Regarding the peat moss, what are the cons of going that way? I've of problems such as increase in algae growth, slimy looking water, etc.

I'm not sure about the coral dissolving, but I have hear that peat moss can drastically lower Ph very quickly. So I'd maybe add a little at a time. I've never used it so unfortunately that's all I can tell you about it.

Elpez said:
It's a fake rock decoration For aquariums

Oh ok. Shouldnt have any affect.

How do you do the vinegar test?
I am also thinking about putting all the coral in a clean container and fill it with my RO filter water, and check it daily. If is the coral the PH should go up.

Elpez said:
How do you do the vinegar test?
I am also thinking about putting all the coral in a clean container and fill it with my RO filter water, and check it daily. If is the coral the PH should go up.

If the rock is fake, you don't need to worry about it. Good idea with the coral. I'd do the same. But for future reference, if you want to add any real rock, put a few drops of vinegar on it. If it fizzes, you should avoid it.

Ok, cool thanks. Peat moss from Home depot will work or does it have to be from a lfs if they sell it.

Elpez said:
Ok, cool thanks. Peat moss from Home depot will work or does it have to be from a lfs if they sell it.

I didn't know home depot had peat moss! I don't know though, I'm sure someone else can answer that. Sorry!

After some reserch, it looks like by making the water more acidic it automaticaly disolves carbon and yes coral and shells contain carbon.
Eventually the water stabilizes and carbon either stops dissolving or slows down. So adding PH down will not help.
In brief the fossilized coral and shells are coming out.
I'll stop using PH down.
I'll add some peat moss.

Please note this is important, a few days ago I used some liquid CO2, that also disolves calcium.

Elpez said:
After some reserch, it looks like by making the water more acidic it automaticaly disolves carbon and yes coral and shells contain carbon.
Eventually the water stabilizes and carbon either stops dissolving or slows down. So adding PH down will not help.
In brief the fossilized coral and shells are coming out.
I'll stop using PH down.
I'll add some peat moss.

Please note this is important, a few days ago I used some liquid CO2, that also disolves calcium.

That's very good to know! Great info here :)

Elpez said:

Peat moss is peat moss. U can get it from Home depot. It will probably cloud ur water some but it will clear shortly. Just add a small amount. Make sure its pure peat moss though and not treated with any chemicals.

Elpez said:

There is no such thing as liquid CO2 that can be added to a tank. Did you add a liquid carbon solution like Excell?

Good call removing the shells and coral from the tank. With those gone you shouldn't need peat moss. Especially if you use RO water to cut your tap water.

Hold onto that bottle of ph down! It works better than vinegar for testing rocks, because it is more acidic. Drop some on the coral and see if it fizzes. If it dos, it is likely your culprit.

Alyxx said:
Hold onto that bottle of ph down! It works better than vinegar for testing rocks, because it is more acidic. Drop some on the coral and see if it fizzes. If it dos, it is likely your culprit.

Great idea! I never knew that!

Thanks a million ! Good idea about the PH Down. As for the liquid carbon, it's from API, the bottle says liquid co2.

beernboots said:
Peat moss is peat moss. U can get it from Home depot. It will probably cloud ur water some but it will clear shortly. Just add a small amount. Make sure its pure peat moss though and not treated with any chemicals.

Thanks! That's why I was wondering about Home depot. If it's sold at a fish store I am sure it would be free of chemicals. Products from Home depot might not state that since they are intended to be used in soil.
As an example, PVC products don't state they are phthalates free. Nor polycarbonates free of BPA since their intended use is not for food or need an FDA approval to produce.
I'll check out. Home depot anyways to see if the package says anything. If it doesnt I'll check out the lfs. I'll post whatever I find out.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom